'Dice and Ice' event draws students to Munn Ice Arena

From left to right, kinesiology senior Alexander Woods, applied engineering junior Matt Mueller, actuarial science senior Marcus Oden, and zoology senior John Kochiss engage in a game of blackjack during MSU Ice and Dice on Feb. 27, 2016 at Munn Ice Arena.

Students were invited to try their luck at the frozen casino that was Munn Ice Arena Saturday night.

The event, coined as the “Dice and Ice,” was put on by the MSU Activities Board (UAB).

“Dice and Ice is one of our biggest events of the year,” education junior UAB event director Maggie Ribick said. “It’s a great way to get out and win some prizes and have some fun.”

As the title implies, the activities of the night were casino-themed, and were spread out along the entire arena concourse.

The event included blackjack, poker, roulette, craps, slot machines and bingo.

Interdisciplinary studies sophomore Lillya Hopkins was trying her hand at blackjack.

“I’m here because I want to win something,” Hopkins said. “A lot of us broke college students don’t have money to buy the expensive things that they’re giving away for free as prizes. So I think this is all really awesome.”

Tokens earned by playing casino games on the concourse were transferred to tickets for prizes.

A special powerball prize was given away, which was a smart Vizio TV this year.

A multitude of other prizes were also given out, including an Apple iPad, a FitBit, Beats by Dr. Dre Headphones, tickets to the MSU Theatre production of Grease, a GoPro, a Keurig Coffee Machine and more.

Several students were also drawn to the free ice skating that was open from 8 p.m. to midnight.

“I really like the free ice skating, because I’ve never done that here,” elementary education sophomore Danielle Keyes. “This got me out here and showed me all of the cool activities that are going on.”

Many local businesses from around the East Lansing were also present at the event.

The sponsors included Buffalo Wild Wings, Insomnia Cookies, Qdoba, Cosi and several others.

There were several booths located on the concourses that were catering free food samples to students.

The Dice and Ice event was originally created as a positive outlet for students during the spring midterm season.

“It’s a great opportunity to take a night off,” professional writing and marketing sophomore UAB events director Natalie Gotko said.“We just love programming events because they're a good way for students to get out their stress. Having fun, meeting new people, and staying involved on campus are all great things for students to be doing.” 

Share and discuss “'Dice and Ice' event draws students to Munn Ice Arena” on social media.