MSU Debate finished top eight out of 124 teams in tournament

The MSU Debate Team finished in the top eight of the 124 teams that competed in the Texas Open tournament this week.

International relations senior Tyler Thur and mathematics senior Margaret Strong represented MSU in the quarterfinals.

Thur and Strong defeated teams from University of Kansas, Baylor University, Emory University, University of Kentucky and University of Southern California, but ultimately ended up losing to a team from Rutgers University-Newark.

Professional writing sophomore Breana Brill, physics freshman Evan Runburg, computer science sophomore Connor Munsinger and international relations freshman Luc Walkington also competed for MSU in Texas, but did not make it to the elimination rounds.

“Marge and Tyler have had a brilliant debate season and finished strong at the Texas Open,” head coach Will Repko said in a press release. “Our team is looking forward to district competitions, and ultimately, the National Debate Tournament coming up later this semester.”

The Texas Open was the last major national tournament of the spring before the National Debate Tournament. Bids for the tournament will be announced during the next few weeks.

The 70th annual National Debate Tournament will be held at the Binghampton University in Binghampton, New York from March 30-April 5.

Share and discuss “MSU Debate finished top eight out of 124 teams in tournament” on social media.