MSU men's basketball survives scare, defeats Minnesota, 69-61

Head coach Tom Izzo reacts to a call on Dec. 12, 2015 during the game against Florida at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Gators, 58-52.
Head coach Tom Izzo reacts to a call on Dec. 12, 2015 during the game against Florida at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Gators, 58-52. —
Photo by Julia Nagy | and Julia Nagy The State News

The No. 1 MSU men's basketball team (14-1) bounced back from its first loss of the season to defeat the Minnesota Golden Gophers (6-8) on the road, 69-61.

In MSU's third consecutive game without senior MSU guard Denzel Valentine, fellow senior guard Bryn Forbes led the Spartans with 20 points while senior MSU forward Matt Costello finished with 17 points and 15 rebounds.

Minnesota was led by 16 points from sophomore guard Nate Mason and 14 points and nine rebounds from freshman forward Jordan Murphy.

Forbes scored seven of MSU's first nine points of the game to help the Spartans build an early 9-5 lead.

However, by way of Murphy, the Gophers would take a 15-13 lead at the 11:48 mark of the first half. Murphy scored 10 of Minnesota's first 15 points of the game.

For the remainder of the half, things were contested quite evenly. The Spartans did manage to build a six point lead toward the end of the half, but a buzzer-beating 3-pointer from Minnesota freshman guard Kevin Dorsey sent the game to the half with MSU leading, 32-29.

Forbes cooled off from his initial hot start and finished the half with those seven points while Costello added seven points and 11 rebounds at the break. 

For the Gophers, Murphy also cooled down from his hot star and finished the half with 10 points while Mason finished with eight points during the first 20 minutes of action.

In the second half, the Gophers continued to give the No. 1 team in the nation all they could handle. At the 15:43 mark of the second half, MSU held just a one-point lead, 42-41.

From there, the Spartans would hold the Gophers without a basket for almost eight minutes, using a 11-2 run to build a 10-point lead, 53-43, with less than eight minutes to play.

But the Gophers wouldn't go away. Minnesota climbed back into the game and a 3-pointer from Mason cut MSU's lead to two, 58-56 with 4:41 to go in the game.

With less than two minutes to go in the game, things were still close, and a hook shot from freshman MSU forward Deyonta Davis with 1:44 to go put the Spartans on top by four, 65-61.

MSU would hit its free throws down the stretch and take the game, 69-61.

Share and discuss “MSU men's basketball survives scare, defeats Minnesota, 69-61” on social media.