Saturday, May 4, 2024

New students adjust to campus during spring semester

Computer science freshman Ed Watson moved into to his dorm in Wilson Hall as as spring semester freshmen. He brought with him concerns of making friends.

“The most difficult thing I’ve noticed would be that friend groups have already formed," Watson said. "For some, it could be difficult to wedge your way into them. Now, this is easily remedied by getting out there, leaving your comfort zone and joining clubs.”

During fall 2015, the size of the incoming class of freshman was 7,929. Spring 2016, the total is roughly 580 new students, with roughly 300-400 of them being new freshmen, not transfer students, Mike Cook, senior associate director of admission, said.

Regardless of the vast size difference, MSU tries to create as similar welcoming experience to incoming freshman whether it is the spring or fall semester.

At the start of both semesters, resident assistants are asked to decorate new students' doors with name-tags, introduce themselves and try to develop friendships with students.

Residential assistants are also asked to plan floor and building welcome events, such as movie and game nights, as well as floor meetings to bring students together and get them out of their rooms.

The main difference in welcoming efforts for spring versus fall students is that there is no campus-wide event, such as Sparticipation, for spring students due to smaller numbers, Kyle Carter said, assistant director for residence education and housing services Brody Complex and University Apartments & University Village.

This creates a slightly different view of the campus for spring and fall freshmen.

“One big challenge... is really the Spartan experience,” senior communication Fran Pugh, a residential assistant on campus, said. “When you first come everyone is super excited with Spartan Spectacular and all these crazy events going on. In the spring that’s not really the case.”

Instead of a large event to highlight campus clubs and events, residential assistants are asked to talk to students individually and make them aware of opportunities, Pugh said. 

“I think they view their Spartan experience very much through their community,” Pugh said. “Which can be a challenge or it can be a really wonderful thing.”

Housing and choosing a roommate is almost an identical process for all new freshmen. Students are given the opportunity to choose a roommate, a new student or a current student, and are also required to live in the dorms.

For those going in without a roommate preference, housing works to pair two new students up to share a room.

The main challenge that one may face when starting school in the spring is finding a friend group on campus due to the fact that in the fall thousands of students are new and looking for friends to experience and explore campus with, as opposed to the group of a few hundred that enroll in the spring, Carter said. 

Share and discuss “New students adjust to campus during spring semester ” on social media.