Monday, May 6, 2024

Forbes ends shooting slump with 25-point performance against Maryland

From left to right, senior forward Matt Costello, senior guard Bryn Forbes, and junior guard Eron Harris celebrate after scoring during the  game against Maryland on Jan. 23, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Terrapins, 74-65.
From left to right, senior forward Matt Costello, senior guard Bryn Forbes, and junior guard Eron Harris celebrate after scoring during the game against Maryland on Jan. 23, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Terrapins, 74-65.

It was a rough few games for MSU, arguably an even rougher stretch for MSU senior guard Bryn Forbes.

For Forbes, his struggles all began Jan. 14 against the Iowa Hawkeyes, where he finished with just two points in a lopsided loss to Iowa. 

And after having a mediocre game in a loss against Wisconsin on Jan. 17, Forbes once again struggled mightily, finishing with just three points on 1-of-8 shooting against Nebraska on Jan. 20.

However, in No. 11 MSU's 74-65 victory over the Maryland Terrapins Saturday, those struggles all came to an end, as Forbes was able to finish with 25 points on 8-of-15 shooting.

Even through Forbes' struggles, MSU head basketball coach Tom Izzo never lost confidence in Forbes' shot and it showed on Saturday when the offense went to him right away.

"We were going to Bryn right away and I felt like we had to do that," Izzo said. "We had to get him going. The last few games he's really struggled and yet every shot he's took was good, and I'm happy for him too. There's no one that works harder at it."

Forbes also never lost confidence in his abilities and is thankful for Izzo's continued belief in his ability to perform.

"Coach really helped me with that," Forbes said. "He came to me the first play. He drew up the first one for me. He got me involved and it just felt good for me. He kept his confidence in me. He told me I'd never have a game like that again and I feel good now."

It's clear for MSU that Forbes' shooting is a crucial aspect to its success, and several of Forbes' teammates were happy to see him break out of his slump on Saturday.

"I was so happy, man, because if Bryn is on, I think we win," MSU junior guard Eron Harris said. "It's a lot of other things but if Bryn's on ... I'm happy to see that."

In the end, though, it was being able to come away with a victory against the Terrapins which was the sweetest thing for Forbes.

"It feels great after a tough stretch to come out and beat the No. 7 team in the nation," Forbes said. "They're one of the better teams we've played so it feels great. To actually play like us is what probably feels the best. To actually get back to doing what we do and who we are, felt good."

Share and discuss “Forbes ends shooting slump with 25-point performance against Maryland” on social media.