GameDay's Jay Williams rips shirt open, dons MSU Earvin "Magic" Johnson jersey

From left to right, Rece Davis, Jay Williams, Jay Bilas, and Seth Greenberg host ESPN's College GameDay on Jan. 23, 2016 at Breslin Center.

Michigan State students lined up as early as possible to welcome ESPN and its College GameDay program Saturday at Breslin Center. They braved the cold from the wee hours of the morning, eagerly anticipating the national broadcast.

And in Lee Corso fashion, the fans got a little love from Jay Williams at the end of the show.

Members of the Izzone, MSU’s own basketball student section, were let in at 8:30 a.m. to take their seats. Equipped with homemade signs, students were also given Final Four logos from past Spartan teams’ NCAA tournament runs.

During the few hours leading up to GameDay, members of the Izzone and regular fans were treated to special mini-games and festivities. Quick games of trivia and lightning kept the crowd on their feet and attentive as the show crept closer. The dance-off between students had the crowd riled up as they cheered for their favorite performer.

The crowd was at its loudest though when ESPN would go on live television during short segments of their popular show, SportsCenter. Loud chants of “Go Green” and “Go White” would resonate within the Breslin’s confined quarters.

As the show and the game were drawing close, students were reminiscent of their favorite Izzone memories. After constant primetime moments, it was an easy task to call back on.

For Jacob Wysocki, a civil engineer junior, his experiences in the Izzone have spanned far and wide over the past few years. As he looks back, he only gets good vibes from the Spartan faithful.

“We played the University of Michigan (at Breslin), even though we lost the game, it was so loud here at one point I couldn’t hear myself scream. It was insane,” Wysocki said, remembering the Spartans’ last College GameDay in East Lansing.

Wysocki was also the lucky Spartan who got a chance at winning an $18,000 check from State Farm, adding to his list of experiences. Wysocki had 15 seconds to make a half-court shot, but was unable to do so. He received a check for $1,800 for being selected to shoot.

As for the game, though, senior Izzone members are looking forward to bringing loud cheers tonight.

Kevin Lechner, an accounting senior and also a second-year section leader, had strong words for his fellow green and white comrades.

“We’ve been a little down this year, I definitely think we stepped it up in the last few games for sure,” Lechner said. “I think we’re starting to step it up a bit and I think the team’s reacting to it.”

Tip-off for the game against the No. 7 Maryland Terrapins (17-2, 6-1 Big Ten) is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. as the No. 11 Michigan State Spartans (16-4, 3-4 Big Ten) look to right their three-game losing streak.

Share and discuss “GameDay's Jay Williams rips shirt open, dons MSU Earvin "Magic" Johnson jersey” on social media.