Popular lip balm used by students involved in class action lawsuit

Many MSU students use the small, colorful balls of EOS lip balm every day, but a recent lawsuit might change that.

Filed in 2016, a class action lawsuit has been filed against the EOS cosmetics company. The victim, Rachael Cronin, claimed the lip balm product causes rashes, blisters, dryness and redness around users’ mouths. 

According to court documents, EOS products are "anything but smooth."

Mark Geragos, the lawyer on the case, claimed potentially hundreds of thousands of consumers have experienced “mild to severe rashes, dryness, bleeding, blistering, cracking and loss of pigmentation.” 

Additional claims include that these accounted negative symptoms can last from a few days to a few months, and that some symptoms might even be permanent.

Cronin posted pictures of her faces with boils and blisters to the EOS Facebook page. Her post reportedly spawned a frenzy of similar consumer opinions on the negative consequences of EOS products. 

EOS, which stand for “Evolution of Smooth,” are a hit among young females and have been in stores since 2009. The EOS website claims their products create long-lasting moisture for immediately softer lips. 

The lip balms have also been endorsed by several celebrities including Hilary Duff, Britney Spears and Kim Kardashian. Pop star Miley Cyrus famously promoted the product in her music video for the song, “We Can’t Stop.” 

Many MSU students were very vocal about their experiences with EOS lip balm.

"I used EOS chapstick for a few months and I guess I had an allergic reaction to them," premedical freshman Emma Osterholzer said. "First my lips got super dry, so I used more. But after awhile, my lips started to crack around the edges and bleed." 

This reaction is not universal. 

"I've used an EOS chapstick. I like it, it's never bothered me," graduate student Catherine Good said. "I've never had any weird reactions to anything." 

“We firmly believe this lawsuit is without merit," EOS representative Nancy Chan said in an email statement to The State News. "Our products are made with the highest quality ingredients and meet or exceed all safety and quality standards set out by our industry and validated by rigorous testing conducted by an independent lab. The health and well-being of our customers is our top priority and millions of satisfied customers use our products every day, many of whom take the time to share their experiences with us.” 

Share and discuss “Popular lip balm used by students involved in class action lawsuit” on social media.