Sunday, May 5, 2024

Bill Beachler, founder of LGBT scholarship, dies at age 70

William "Bill" Beachler, the founder of The Pride Scholarship at MSU, died Jan. 11 at the age of 70.

Beachler was noted as a "consummate servant" among his peers and made the first $1,000 donation to the scholarship.

The scholarship started as a $500 award, now students can be awarded up to $5,000 for their academic achievements and their work and contributions to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

Beachler's work for members of the LGBT community has greatly impacted students at MSU, LBGT Resource Center director Deanna Hurlbert said.

"He is a historic figure," Hurlbert said. "He was committed to youth and helping to assure young people didn't have to go through the same pain and suffering he had to go through."

MSU alumnus Gary Hicks was a close friend of Beachler. One of his favorite memories together was attending the 2014 Rose Bowl, when MSU defeated Stanford 24-20. They took many trips together, including the MSU vs. University of Michigan football game this past October, a NCAA basketball game in Knoxville, Tennessee and trip to the Palace of Auburn Hills. 

"The thing about Bill is, he never sought the spotlight," Hicks said. "He never wanted to be the president or take center stage. He loved the behind the scenes work. He was a very vibrant person who loved life."

Social relations and policy and political theory and constitutional democracy senior Kaitlyn Beyer, the 2012 winner of The Pride Scholarship, remembers Beachler as an outgoing and friendly person. The Pride Scholarship shaped her first few years at MSU, Beyer said.

Her minor in Women's and Gender Studies is attributed to the work of Beachler and the whole LGBT community at MSU, Beyer said. She went on to work for People Respecting the Individuality of Students at MSU, or PRISM. PRISM is the South Neighborhood caucus for the LBGT Resource Center. 

Another recipient, MSU alumna Erica Shekell, saw him as a "friendly face" each time they met at the annual GLBT Alumni Association Homecoming Reception.

Hicks said Beachler was a big sports fan and card player. He had season tickets to MSU football and MSU basketball for decades. He participated in the card game euchre on a weekly basis. 

A MSU alumnus, Beachler worked for the Michigan Department of Transportation for decades. Beachler also did other work for the LGBT community, including being a member of the Lansing Association for Human Rights. 

"He (Beachler) was a leader in bringing LBGT issues to light at MSU," Hurlbert said.

Share and discuss “Bill Beachler, founder of LGBT scholarship, dies at age 70” on social media.