Senior and soccer player named prestigious 2016 Rhodes Scholar

They say hard work pays off and the saying seems to be true for senior Sarah Kovan. 

Her work balancing a double major in comparative cultures and politics and human biology, studying abroad and playing starting midfielder for MSU’s women’s soccer team has paid off in the best way — she has been named a 2016 Rhodes Scholar.

The Rhodes Scholar is a prestigious American scholarship program that sends students to study postgraduate work at University of Oxford in England. Kovan plans on continuing her hard work for the next two years studying for a master's degree in philosophy in development studies, with a focus on how health and development intersect.

Kovan wants to eventually work in international health care, but at the moment she is not sure what context that will be in. She said she thinks studying at Oxford will help her get a clearer idea of what her goal is.

“Throughout my studies at Michigan State, I’ve come to realize there’s a lot more to working abroad with international medicine,” she said. “My major in comparative cultures and politics has kind of shaped that and made me realize there’s this broader context for understanding it. So before pursuing any type a career within the health-related field, I want to understand how do we develop health care efficiently and sustainably abroad.”

But she already has had hands-on experience in her field. In addition to a research fellowship in Sri Lanka and hospice care here in Michigan, Kovan studied abroad and worked in ambulances in Israel. She spent five weeks the summer after her freshman year working with EMTs and gaining the experience in her field. She said her study abroad opportunity showed her just how her two majors related.

“It was interesting because I had limited Hebrew at that point, and I had to learn really quickly,” Kovan said. “But that interaction with working with patients without necessarily having as much of the language and having to find other ways to communicate was really interesting for me. After that to go study the Israeli-Palestinian conflict was a nice addition to the ambulance work. ... I got to see what it looks like to work in the medical field but also to see how the culture and conflict in that area affect medicine. I think that kind of solidified it — I knew that I was what I wanted to do and I was going in the right direction.”

MSU helped Kovan find her future plans. She said while looking into post-undergraduate studies and scholarships, several mentors encouraged her to apply to be a Rhodes Scholar.

“I’m not sure I would’ve gone through with it if I didn’t have that extra push,” she said. “It’s hard to find what you’re doing next year and what is right for you.”

Despite the extra guidance, Kovan worked hard largely on her own volition. Kovan, a self-described “driven person with a definite sense of scheduling,” knew what she wanted and how to get it all done.

Still, Kovan credits the chances and support she’s had at MSU as the path to where she is now.

“My coaches with athletics have been incredibly supportive,” she said. “A lot of time with athletics it’s hard to go study abroad (but) they’re all about academics as well as athletics so they’ve encouraged me to go take those opportunities, be a part of that," Kovan said.

She also acknowledged the support of the James Madison College faculty and being able to double major

"All those little things I think have come together to spark what I want to do in the future and give me a better understanding of that," she said. 

Share and discuss “Senior and soccer player named prestigious 2016 Rhodes Scholar ” on social media.