Saturday, May 4, 2024

Students find their voice through a cappella group

<p>From left to right, apparel and textiles senior Emily Semroc, marketing junior Joseph Wylie and media and information freshman Shanice Pinson sing a song during a State of Fifths practice on Sept. 27, 2015 in the Music Building. "The people in the group are so great," Pinson said. "They're going to be my best friends." Joshua Abraham/The State News</p>

From left to right, apparel and textiles senior Emily Semroc, marketing junior Joseph Wylie and media and information freshman Shanice Pinson sing a song during a State of Fifths practice on Sept. 27, 2015 in the Music Building. "The people in the group are so great," Pinson said. "They're going to be my best friends." Joshua Abraham/The State News

But it just reinforces how anyone can join a co-ed a cappella group like State of Fifths.

Bilinski said he joined the Fifths the second semester of his freshman year. He said he decided to audition because he wanted to have more music in his life.

“I did a lot of music in high school and then coming here I wasn’t doing music,” Bilinski said. “I felt a little off-kilter, and then finally found something that could be my musical outlet.”

Marketing junior Joseph Wylie said he joined the group the first week of his freshman year. 

“I went on Youtube and kind of saw some videos of the Fifths and thought that was the group for me,” Wylie said. “I was lucky enough to make it.”

Wylie said State of Fifths sings modern and indie songs. He said the group tries to find songs which amplifies the group’s sound, such as songs by The Head and the Heart.

Bilinksi said when looking for songs to perform, the group tries to be ahead of the curve and pick unique songs.

“Our goal as a group is to sing the songs you’re going to hear months later,” Bilinksi said.

He said the Fifths, as the group often calls themselves, perform at a variety of venues and events around campus, East Lansing and beyond. 

In addition to performing around campus, the group tours around Traverse City for four days every winter and competes in the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella, or ICCA.

The group has placed second at the Great Lakes Region semifinals for the past two years.

“This might be our year, though — third time’s the charm,” Wylie said. “It’s amazing that we’ve even gotten to semifinals. I think it’s a huge accomplishment.”

International development and African American studies senior Meg Seifferly said she thinks their accomplishments are not the only thing that makes them special. She credits their fearlessness.

“The first thing that comes to my mind is that we don’t have a fear of taking risk,” Seifferly said. “A lot of a capella groups now are into the stereotypical, Pitch Perfect style. State of Fifths tends to do riskier, darker music and that made us stand out at (ICCA) semifinals last year.”

Wylie and Bilinski said there is a lot to look forward to this year. In addition to recording a new CD, they said they look forward to new voices and people.

“We’re a really friendly group of people — that’s what I saw when I came to Michigan State,” Wylie said. “We’re really like a family, honestly.”

Bilinski said the thing he looks forward to most is the group’s potential.

“We grew so much last year, I’m excited to see how much more we can grow,” Bilinski said.

Share and discuss “Students find their voice through a cappella group” on social media.