Saturday, May 4, 2024

Sorority commemorates domestic violence awareness month through candlelight vigil

<p>From left, psychology and communication senior Priya Adusumilli, president of Sigma Sigma Rho, gives human resource management junior Sakshi Sethi a paper with a fact about domestic violence to read aloud during a Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority event on Oct. 21, 2015 at the Sparty Statue. The sorority lit luminaries in support of domestic violence victims.</p>

From left, psychology and communication senior Priya Adusumilli, president of Sigma Sigma Rho, gives human resource management junior Sakshi Sethi a paper with a fact about domestic violence to read aloud during a Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority event on Oct. 21, 2015 at the Sparty Statue. The sorority lit luminaries in support of domestic violence victims.

October is domestic violence awareness month and to commemorate it, Sigma Sigma Rho sorority held events this week to spread awareness.

On Wednesday, Oct. 21, the sorority held an event called “Find Light Amongst Darkness."

The members lit candles and read off domestic violence facts in honor of people who are victims.

Priya Adusumilli, psychology and communications senior and president of Sigma Sigma Rho, said the topic is important to talk about so people can get help if they need it.

“It’s a taboo topic, especially since domestic violence happens with people that you know and it’s like your relationships and you don’t want to mess those relationships up,” Adusumilli said.

Dhatri Nandyala, human biology and biomedical laboratory science sophomore, set up the event in order to bring light to such a sensitive topic.

"It was to bring light to the issue that people are so taboo about, even yesterday when we had people take a pledge against it, most people felt uncomfortable."

“It was to bring light to the issue that people are so taboo about, even yesterday when we had people take a pledge against it, most people felt uncomfortable,” Nandyala said.

The event helped open the eyes of students that may not know much about the topic. Adusumilli said there are different signs to look for when it comes to domestic violence.

“Sexual assault and domestic violence both happen with people you know, and if you see signs of domestic violence, if your partner is abusive, verbally abusive, emotionally abusive...that’s a sign that you’re a victim of domestic violence, so get help if you can,” Adusumilli said.

Find Light Amongst Darkness, brought out a variety of people and people were able to gain knowledge about domestic violence.

“I think it was a great event overall because we had a lot of support come in from CIUS and different people that are interested in learning how to prevent and bring awareness to domestic violence,” Sakshi Sethi, human resource management junior and VP of finance, said. 

Share and discuss “Sorority commemorates domestic violence awareness month through candlelight vigil ” on social media.