Saturday, May 4, 2024

Fisheries and Wildlife Club prepares for annual Haunted Trail

<p>Statistics senior Kyle Redilla uses a grappling hook in the Red Cedar River on Oct. 27, 2013, at the Bogue Street bridge to pick bicycles out of the water. The multiple truck loads of bikes the Fisheries and Wildlife Club salvaged weighed more than 1,000-pounds each. Cayden Royce/The State News</p>

Statistics senior Kyle Redilla uses a grappling hook in the Red Cedar River on Oct. 27, 2013, at the Bogue Street bridge to pick bicycles out of the water. The multiple truck loads of bikes the Fisheries and Wildlife Club salvaged weighed more than 1,000-pounds each. Cayden Royce/The State News

Looking for something scary to do this Friday?

This Friday night from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m., MSU Fisheries and Wildlife Club is putting together a Haunted Trail through their own wildlife management area.

Waldemar Ortiz, president of the club and fisheries and wildlife sophomore, said it's not for the faint of heart.

"On a scale of one to 10 it's going to be a solid eight or nine as far as scary goes," Ortiz said. "We want to make it fun but we don't want to cause any emotional scarring."

He said the trail is going to be different than any old haunted house.

"It's a different experience (on the Haunted Trail) because you hear the rustling of the leaves and people don't like to be in the woods when it's dark outside and you think something is coming for you and it makes it a lot scarier," Ortiz said.

The decorations, costumes and effects in the Haunted Trail are being used from previous years and from club members' own personal wardrobes. The exact scenes from the Haunted trail are going to be a surprise for Friday.

Devin Lang, coordinator of the trail and fisheries and wildlife sophomore, said this year's trail is going to have a mad scientist theme.

"The general story line that everything will go with depends on what direction it (the Haunted Trail) flows in," Lang said.

The club has been hard at work this week getting the trail cleaned up, brainstorming, putting together the scary scenes people will be walking through and finding volunteers.

"Last year they heard screams from the police department and we are trying to up that and make it scarier than last year," Lang said.

Admission is $2 and the money will go towards The Red Cedar River Cleanup that MSU Fisheries and Wildlife Club has been doing every semester for the last eight years.

"The debris from students effects the river and we want to reduce the impact our campus has on the environment," Lang said.

Fall semester's clean up happened last Sunday and the next clean up is going to be sometime in mid to late March or early April. 

"It's (the Haunted Trail) on campus and it's close and put on by other students who know what people our age want to see," Lang said, "We want to promote the habitat on campus and it's going to be a lot of fun."

Share and discuss “Fisheries and Wildlife Club prepares for annual Haunted Trail” on social media.