Sunday, April 28, 2024

Student group creates 'F.A.M.I.L.Y.' on campus

When transitioning to college, students can feel lost and it can be difficult to find a niche.  

A new organization on campus called F.A.M.I.L.Y., which stands for "Forget about me, I love you," was created to make sure even when students are away from home, they can still be a part of a family. 

F.A.M.I.L.Y.’s mission is to cultivate relationships through people of different races. 

Members of the organization have served the community by mentoring inner-Detroit elementary school students, held a community wide baby shower for women in the Lansing area and created a spa day for cancer patients at Sparrow Hospital.

“Once you reach the point where you can give back and you actually act upon it, it’s a feeling like no other," Kevin Nichols, elementary education and human development and family services sophomore, said. "It is like one of the best feelings you can have." 

Food industry management senior Sherria Hamilton said she knows what it feels like to go without and not to have. 

“I’m giving them something to believe in, most importantly I’m giving them love," Hamilton said. "When I see a little kid’s face light up from giving them a jacket — that says something and it makes me want to continue to give back to the community.”

Another aspect the group finds important for its members to understand is financial literacy. Social work junior Tyler Logan said students can benefit from listening to outside sources who are knowledgeable about financial aspects.

Denzel Wright, a financial advisor from Northwestern Mutual, has had multiple interactive presentations and workshops with F.A.M.I.L.Y. 

“A lot of students go through college not even knowing what their credit score is,” Logan said. “He brings awareness to those events and situations.”  

Nichols said he learned a lot from the financial literacy seminars. 

"I learned so much about life insurance and what you can do to take care of your family after you leave the Earth,” Nichols said.

Many of the members said they also enjoy partaking in fun activities together. For example, every Sunday the members have a family dinner.

“We feel like Sunday dinner in general is where you really bond and get that encouragement to deal with the rest of the week,” Nichols said. “We have a variety of food selection to choose from and we cook it ourselves to have more of a bonding experience. We are a family.”

Share and discuss “Student group creates 'F.A.M.I.L.Y.' on campus ” on social media.