A Cappella groups come together for annual Accapalooza

<p>Members of the group Spartan Sur perform on Oct. 10, 2015, during Accapalooza at Hannah Community Center. This annual event was hosted by the Ladies First accapella group and featured seven groups. </p>

Members of the group Spartan Sur perform on Oct. 10, 2015, during Accapalooza at Hannah Community Center. This annual event was hosted by the Ladies First accapella group and featured seven groups.

On Friday and Saturday, the 15th annual Accapalooza was held at the Hannah Community Center and featured seven of MSU’s collegiate a cappella groups.

Each group had the chance to display their unique sounds for their first large concert of the year. A variety of music was covered, such as pop songs like Taylor Swift’s Wildest Dreams performed by Ladies First, Rihanna’s Four Five Seconds performed by State of Fifths, the theme song from Friends performed by Spartan Dischords and Seasons of Love performed by RCAHppella.

In addition to each group performing their own set, all the groups present performed Kings of Leon's Use Somebody together. Ladies First hosted the event and wanted to include something different in this year’s performance.

Joseph Aquino, President of Spartan Sur and neuroscience senior, said he thinks the group number brought the groups closer.

“It seemed everyone felt more together this year,” Aquino said. “There was a larger sense of community and I think that’s from the group number we did. Everyone singing and knowing the same song really brought in that community feeling.”

Music education junior Joey Swinkey said as a third year member of RCAHppella, he thought this year’s show was the best one he has been a part of.

“The staff and the whole production value was very high this year and all the groups really brought their a game,” Swinkey said. “It’s definitely the most talented bunch I've seen.”

Swinkey said the show was RCAHppella’s first chance to show off their new members. He said the energy was great for them.

“(The new members) were all very excited,” he said. “It was a really great showcase for them. The whole a cappella community was there. It’s a pretty friendly and exciting environment to perform in.”

Northville resident Claire Matthews came to the show on Saturday to support her friends in some of the groups. She said she thought the performance went well.

“It was wonderful,” Matthews said. “I’ve come to it a few times before and it’s always really, really good.”

Share and discuss “A Cappella groups come together for annual Accapalooza ” on social media.