Two former MSU quarterbacks named NFL starters

Senior quarterback Kirk Cousins celebrates with the Spartan fans. Cousins is the winninest quarterback in MSU history. The Spartans defeated the Georgia Bulldogs, 33-30, Monday afternoon at the Outback Bowl hosted in Raymond James Stadium at Tampa, Fla. after triple overtime. Justin Wan/The State News
Senior quarterback Kirk Cousins celebrates with the Spartan fans. Cousins is the winninest quarterback in MSU history. The Spartans defeated the Georgia Bulldogs, 33-30, Monday afternoon at the Outback Bowl hosted in Raymond James Stadium at Tampa, Fla. after triple overtime. Justin Wan/The State News —
Photo by Justin Wan | and Justin Wan The State News

Two former MSU Quarterbacks, Brian Hoyer and Kirk Cousins, have been named starting quarterbacks for their respective NFL teams.

Following the Houston Texans’ preseason loss to the Denver Broncos on August 22, head coach Bill O’Brien announced that Hoyer would be named the Texans’ starter for the upcoming NFL season. 

Hoyer, who was locked in a position battle with former Michigan quarterback Ryan Mallett, has been a traveler throughout his NFL career. In 32 games played, Hoyer has churned out a stat line of 4,557 yards passing, 19 touchdowns and 19 interceptions.

During his time at Michigan State, Hoyer was the starring quarterback under MSU head coach Mark Dantonio’s first two head coaching seasons in East Lansing. Hoyer left MSU with 6,159 yards passing, 35 touchdowns and 23 interceptions. He also helped start off MSU’s string 6 of 7 victories over Michigan. This preseason Hoyer is 16 of 26 for 201 yards passing. 

The Texans will face the Kansas City Chiefs on September 13 in Houston to kickoff the season.

Amidst the controversy swirling around Washington Redskins star quarterback Robert Griffin III, head coach Jay Gruden named Kirk Cousins starting quarterback for the season opener versus the Miami Dolphins at FedEx Field on September 13, according to multiple reports on Monday.

Cousins was drafted by Washington in the 2012 NFL Draft in the fourth round and has since appeared in 14 games, compiling 3,030 yards passing, 18 touchdowns and 19 interceptions for Washington. Cousins will be looking to hold onto the starting job if Griffin III returns to the Redskins. 

Cousins is MSU's all-time record holder in passing touchdowns (66), passing yards (9,131), and completions (723). 

Share and discuss “Two former MSU quarterbacks named NFL starters” on social media.