Vietnamese restaurant "Pho Viet" replaces Tony's

<p>Okemos, Mich., residents Matthew and Jamie Bernard enjoy lunch together Sept. 1, 2015, at Pho Viet, 350 Albert Street, in East Lansing. Pho Viet opened to the public last week and offers a variety of Vietnamese options on their menu. Alice Kole/The State News</p>

Okemos, Mich., residents Matthew and Jamie Bernard enjoy lunch together Sept. 1, 2015, at Pho Viet, 350 Albert Street, in East Lansing. Pho Viet opened to the public last week and offers a variety of Vietnamese options on their menu. Alice Kole/The State News

Photo by Alice Kole | The State News

During the past year, Tony’s remained closed and many underclassmen scarcely remember the restaurant.

Some students, mostly upperclassmen, were sad to see the popular diner disappear. Journalism senior Carly Belsito said she doesn’t understand why it closed since it was so popular. She said it was a good place to eat and hang out.

Belsito continued by saying she is willing to try the taste of Vietnam which now stands at 350 Albert Street.

Pho Viet’s restaurant manager Son Bui is confident that his restaurant’s cooking will be a perfect fit for an MSU student’s pallet.

Born and raised in De Nang, Vietnam, Bui gained a passion for cooking local styles from his parents, he said. He transferred his knowledge of his culture’s cuisine when he moved to the United States in 1981.

Bui said he knows of very few other Vietnamese restaurants in the area and so he feels Pho Viet will make a good addition to the MSU culinary community. Most of the customers that come in are students, Bui said.

The nearest restaurant which offers Vietnamese options is located in Lansing on Cedar Street

“I love the traditional Pho Bo dish,” communication junior Patrick Nguyen said, adding that there aren’t many Vietnamese restaurants around campus.

The flavor from the ingredients, Bui said, will make his Vietnamese cooking stand out among other Asian restaurants in the area.

“100 percent, I believe in it,” he said.

Share and discuss “Vietnamese restaurant "Pho Viet" replaces Tony's ” on social media.