Column: Why Michigan State will beat Oregon

MSU will beat Oregon if they limit mistakes and win the turnover differential. The Spartans are a veteran group with 20 redshirt seniors that have been here before.

You have to win before you lose, at least that’s how the saying goes. Michael Jordan's Bulls lost to the 'Bad Boy' Pistons several times before Jordan went on to win six championships.

Senior quarterback Connor Cook and the rest of the Spartans have a bad taste in their mouth from last year. Cook came back to MSU because he had unfinished business.

“One of the main reasons I came back is to compete and have another opportunity to play against Oregon and Ohio State teams that we lost to in the past," Cook said. "Last year left a pretty bad taste in our mouth, it kind of stunk watching the national championship and seeing the two teams that you lost to play for a title. Throughout the whole offseason (we were) talking about the losses that we had, marking those on the calendar for next year so we can go out there and avenge our losses.

“I just want to redeem myself. I think last year I left some chips on the table, we had a great first half as an offense and then came out in the second half and didn’t really do so hot. So, we’re really focusing this week to emphasize the finishing aspect of the football game and come out there and redeem ourselves.”

MSU has an offensive line that is one of the if not the best in the country. Junior tackle Jack Conklin is a future first round pick, All-American senior center Jack Allen is the anchor of the line and a likely second or third round pick and senior guard Donavon Clark who could be a late round pick as well.

The unit kept Cook protected all night during week one, not allowing a single sack in over 28 minutes of possession time.

The motto for MSU this year is to 'reach higher' and they know they have to beat Oregon to accomplish this goal.

"We've lost three games out of the last 30, and we know the teams we've lost to (Notre Dame in 2013, Oregon and Ohio State in 2014)," Dantonio said. "Our MO was to try to reach higher, and to do that, right now, it runs through Oregon."

Another factor that will lead to a Spartan victory is the late arrival of Ducks transfer quarterback Vernon Adams Jr.

Adams is an amazing talent, but I don't believe he developed a full understanding of the Oregon offense in less than a month.

Ultimately, I believe MSU wins in a high scoring affair. MSU 49 - Oregon 42.

To read Ryan Kostecka's column on why Oregon will beat Michigan State, click here.

Share and discuss “Column: Why Michigan State will beat Oregon” on social media.