Saturday, May 4, 2024

Morgan James to perform at Wharton Center

Fans of R&B, pop, and Broadway music alike have a concert to look forward to this winter.

Morgan James will be performing in the Pasant Theatre in the Wharton Center for Performing Arts on Dec. 6 at 7 p.m.

Tickets are $42 for adults and $15 for MSU students.

This isn’t James’ first time in East Lansing. Director of Programming Bryan Jao said she performed here in 2009 as a part of the fundraiser show “Izzo Goes to Broadway.”

“People were just knocked out by her voice," Jao said. "The voice that comes out is not what you’d expect." 

James is classically trained. She graduated from Juilliard and, according to a press release by the Wharton Center, she collaborates with Postmodern Jukebox on YouTube and has performed in several Broadway shows, including The Addams Family and Motown: the Musical.

Jao said the theater seats 600 people, but only about 200 tickets are left. He said he hopes to have James come back to the Wharton Center for another performance later in her career.

“What we like to do is develop young artists that are not as well known and to really see that there is incredible talent that we like to nurture,” he said. 

“One day, if and when Morgan is more popular, we’d like to have her in a larger capacity.”

Share and discuss “Morgan James to perform at Wharton Center ” on social media.