Wednesday, May 1, 2024

COGS welcomes first South Asian president

<p>Graduate student Sudha Sankar poses for a picture on Sept. 14, 2015, next to Chittenden Hall. Sankar is currently pursing a degree in couple and family therapy and is the current president of the Council of Graduate Students. </p>

Graduate student Sudha Sankar poses for a picture on Sept. 14, 2015, next to Chittenden Hall. Sankar is currently pursing a degree in couple and family therapy and is the current president of the Council of Graduate Students. 

After only a year of involvement in the Council of Graduate Students, graduate student Sudha Sankar holds the highest possible office — president.

But the path leading up to becoming the first South Asian female president was not an easy one to travel.

Sankar was born in India but grew up as a self-described “third culture kid.” She has lived in India, Botswana, Singapore and the U.S. between schooling and childhood.

She said just being able to further her education, especially in the U.S., is an immense privilege.

“For international students, it’s very much ‘well, it seems like a good university and there’s no way I’m going to fly 8,000 miles to go and check it out,’ so I guess I’ll go,” Sankar said about picking a university as an international student.

She said she understands the privilege she has been afforded through coming to the U.S. and receiving an education and hopes others will too.

“It’s important for us to understand what privilege is and what opportunities allowed us to come here so that we may think about how we can extend those to others,” Sankar said. 

COGS represents the graduate student community to the administration and works to accomplish the best practices for students. However, Sankar is particularly passionate about mental health and releasing the stigma. She said in graduate school specifically, students succumb to isolation and depression while trying to pursue their work.

“When I think about mental health, I think about an all around holistic happiness,” Sankar said. 

She said the COGS team is also focusing on the preventive aspect of sexual assault on campus. The first 15 weeks on campus, known as the “red zone,” is the most dangerous time of the year. 

Graduate students have already experienced undergraduate life and Sankar said if the two groups communicated more, then the students would have support and a different perspective.

"If we don’t simultaneously do the preventive work, and if students don’t push for that preventive work, then we’re going to continue in this turmoil, in this battle"

“If we don’t simultaneously do the preventive work, and if students don’t push for that preventive work, then we’re going to continue in this turmoil, in this battle,” Sankar said.

As a woman of color holding a high position in office, Sankar said she hopes her presence and the action of COGS communicates an inclusive environment. 

“There is a hesitance to step into the mainstream,” Sankar said. “I think that’s part of the experience of being a minority.” 

Sankar said it’s the shared responsibility as a university to pursue having an inclusive environment for all people.

In a primarily male-dominated position, Sankar said it’s not just the person — it’s the image and it’s important that women hold positions of leadership.

“It’s the association and acceptance of that image of the female in a position of leadership that changes an environment,” Sankar said.

Sankar said she is thankful for stumbling upon a meeting and involving herself in COGS, as it has given her great opportunities and allowed her to meet incredible people.

“We’re all in search of a place that fits and sometimes we get lucky,” Sankar said.

Share and discuss “COGS welcomes first South Asian president” on social media.