Friday, May 3, 2024

For comic artists, drawing is a way of expression

<p></p>

Hollow Mountain Comics hosted a comic book signing Saturday which included MSU's Graphic Novels Club, MSU students and alumni.

Alumnus Brandon Hankins was one of the featured authors on the signing event —  Hankins presented his new comic “Shadow of a Doubt Plus."

Hankins focuses on the aspects of overcoming yourself, overcoming doubts, meditation, martial arts, and action.

But Hankins’ interest in drawing is not new.

Hankins, who also was a cartoonist for The State News, has been drawing since age 4. He was inspired by his brother who also made comics.

Hankins does all of the work needed for his comics — from scripting to plotting the story, Hankins crafts each part of the comic.

“This is what I want to do for a living so I want to practice all of the aspects,” Hankins said.

“I want to be my own boss,” Hankins said. “I want to do my own stories. Communicating my own stories is most important.”

Professional writing senior Brittany Boza also featured her comic named “Trees and Eyes and Stuff” at the event.

The theme of all of her comics are unique concepts.

“I always hide objects on every page. In this story, I hid eyes throughout the comic. They are fun to find,” Boza said.

Boza has always loved doing comics strips since she was a kid.

“But, I stopped for a while, it is not a lucrative business,” Boza said.

Once she got back into comics, she changed her major from psychology to professional writing.

Some students interested in comic writing have found their place on the Graphic Novels Club, however, not too long ago students who had a passion for comic writing did not have club. 

When MSU Graphic Novels Club President Deon Howard began at MSU, he realized there wasn't a club for comics. 

“I always had comic ideas in middle school,” Howard said. “During my junior year, I decided to start this club so people who had the same interest as me could get together and create comics."

But this club is different, he said.

“This club takes it one step forward by actually creating those things (comics),” Howard added.

Members of the club have the opportunity to get their work published.

“Creating a club has made me realize that anyone has the ability to make their dreams come true,” Howard said. “If you have the desire to do something, go out and take the step and do it.”

Howard, who works in the advertising department of The State News, said he hopes the legacy of the club will carry on.

Share and discuss “For comic artists, drawing is a way of expression” on social media.