MSU Softball player raises allegations against assistant coach

<p>Junior outfielder Alyssa McBride dives for the ball during the game against Michigan on April 13, 2014, at Secchia Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans were shut out by the Wolverines, 14-0. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Junior outfielder Alyssa McBride dives for the ball during the game against Michigan on April 13, 2014, at Secchia Stadium at Old College Field. The Spartans were shut out by the Wolverines, 14-0. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

After a disappointing season in which the MSU softball team finished 19-36, you would have thought things couldn't get much worse. However, recent allegations from Alyssa McBride who just wrapped up her senior season have left a dark cloud hanging over the program.

According to a story from The Detroit News McBride alleged that assistant coach Jessica Bograkos targeted her with pitches during batting practice after word got back to the coaching staff that she told a reporter in a situation she believed to be off the record that she wished she had played somewhere else due to the amount of losing she had endured in her time as a Spartan.

The team went 66-140 in McBride's time at MSU and she played in 203 of those 206 games— starting in 197.

MSU spokesperson Jason Cody provided The State News with a statement from the university regarding the alleged activity.

“MSU is aware of the allegations made concerning a former student-athlete in the softball program," the statement read. We take all allegations involving our students very seriously. In addition to an investigation by MSU Police, who turned their report over to prosecutors, MSU has brought in an external, independent law firm, Miller Canfield, to conduct an internal investigation as well."

Bograkos, a former Spartan Softball player, was enshrined in the Greater Lansing Sports Hall of Fame in the summer of 2014.

Investigations of the program are expected to continue in the coming weeks. 

Share and discuss “MSU Softball player raises allegations against assistant coach ” on social media.