Rodeo lovers can head back to the wild west this weekend for the 46th annual Spartan Stampede

<p>Underwood, In., resident Brandon Ragsdale wrestles a steer during the 45th annual Spartan Stampede Rodeo on Feb. 15, 2014, at MSU Pavilion. The rodeo featured three days of competition riding. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Underwood, In., resident Brandon Ragsdale wrestles a steer during the 45th annual Spartan Stampede Rodeo on Feb. 15, 2014, at MSU Pavilion. The rodeo featured three days of competition riding. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

The MSU Pavilion will be taken back to the wild, wild west, and no head will be bare of cowboy hats in the stands during these wild rodeo events.

There will be four different opportunities to see the show: 8 p.m. on Friday, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Saturday and 2 p.m. on Sunday. All events will be held in the Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education.

The Spartan Stampede will include a variety of events including bull riding, horseback riding, calf roping and barrel racing.

Criminal justice senior and Rodeo Club President Mindy Hill said the Spartan Stampede used to host colleges from across the country, but the other teams were reluctant to continue because of the distance.

The lack of other teams hasn’t ruined the occasion.

The Spartan Stampede has now been selected by the membership of the International Professional Rodeo Association as the indoor rodeo of the year for the fourth year in a row.

“Everyone in this club has a strong passion for rodeo, and it’s obviously not something you normally see around Michigan,” Hill said.

She said the Spartan Stampede is always a lot of fun and provides good entertainment for the audience.

“It’s cool and different for people (who) haven’t been to it before,” Hill said.

This year’s event will feature MSU alumni and a celebrity newscaster, whom the Rodeo Club will publicly teach how to rope.

The Charity Jackpot, a separate event, will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday in the Pavilion and will entertain the audience with barrel racing. Proceeds from this event will go toward nonprofit organization Stiggy’s Dogs.

Hill said the club chooses a different charity every year, but this particular charity assists veterans who are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, with the help of some furry friends.

Agribusiness management senior and Rodeo Club Vice President Katherine Landis said she has gotten a lot out of her four years participating in the Spartan Stampede.

“Even though it’s been a lot of work, I’ve learned a lot from it,” Landis said.

She said working behind the scenes has helped her learn leadership, organization and time management skills — everything about how to put on a big event.

“I’m really excited to see it all come together. There’s really not one part that’s better than the whole thing,” Landis said.

Landis said the Spartan Stampede has been a great tradition for the past 46 years.

She said the show is a great experience and a lot of family fun.

“It’s definitely something worth coming out to see,” Landis said.

Share and discuss “Rodeo lovers can head back to the wild west this weekend for the 46th annual Spartan Stampede” on social media.