Shen Yun dance performance coming to East Lansing

According to their website, Shen Yun was formed in 2006 when several Chinese classical artists came together in New York with the desire to bring back the culture that was lost. The artistic freedom of the city allows the group to bring ancient traditions to the stage.

Shen Yun aims to keep ancient Chinese culture alive with music and dance performed by top artists from around the world. Every year they travel to some 20 countries and 100 cities to share the beauty of Chinese traditions.

This week the MSU community will experience a blend of heavenly realms, ancient legends and modern heroic tales.

The performance features some of the best classically trained dancers in the world, along with an orchestra which blends styles of East and West, all amidst animated backdrops.

According to the Shen Yun website, China was once known as Shen Zhou, or the Divine Land. The name describes a land where gods and mortals coexisted, and the belief that the divine brought a rich culture to the Chinese people.

Buddhist, Taoist and other disciplines thrived for thousands of years in Chinese society.

According to the Shen Yun website, the heavens were said to have transferred calligraphy, music, medicine, clothing and more to the people of the earth.

During government campaigns such as the Cultural Revolution, traditional beliefs and ancient treasures have been destroyed.

Though Shen Yun cannot be seen in China today, the non-profit organization has become an international phenomenon.

Tickets for the performance can be purchased on the official Shen Yun website. Depending on seating, they can be purchased for as low as $50 and as much as $120.

Share and discuss “Shen Yun dance performance coming to East Lansing” on social media.