Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Spartan Fit Center offers workouts for the new year

<p>East Lansing resident and MSU alumna Becky Newcombe leads a zumba step class Jan. 27, 2015, at Spartan Fit Center, 3498 Lake Lansing Rd. Spartan Fit Center offers a wide variety of classes and opened just last year. It branched off of Spartan Dance Studio, which is located right next door. Allyson Telgenhof/The State News.</p>

East Lansing resident and MSU alumna Becky Newcombe leads a zumba step class Jan. 27, 2015, at Spartan Fit Center, 3498 Lake Lansing Rd. Spartan Fit Center offers a wide variety of classes and opened just last year. It branched off of Spartan Dance Studio, which is located right next door. Allyson Telgenhof/The State News.

Since its opening in 2013, the Spartan Fit Center has aimed to provide high energy, positive community for students to partake in fast-paced, fun group exercise classes.

Missy Ball, a strength and tone, cross body and circuit instructor at the Spartan Fit Center said that a unique aspect of the center is the wide variety in classes that they offer.

“I think that we have a great community. We’re not super large, we know our members. We know them by name, we know them by face, so it’s just a really great place because it feels like family.” Newcombe said.

The Spartan Fit Center offers a myriad of group exercise classes that encompass everything from kickboxing and yoga to a new form of hip hop dance known as Bokwa, in which participants make letters and shapes with the movements of their bodies.

The Spartan Fit Center is connected to the Spartan Dance Center, which opened August 16, 2009 and offers a variety of dance classes for all ages and skill levels.

Tiffany Russell, owner of Spartan Dance Center and Spartan Fit Center, said this is beneficial for students who were involved in dance in high school but haven’t yet found a way to continue their passion for dancing in college. Some dance classes offered at the dance center include hip hop, ballet, salsa, ballroom and jazz.

Whether students are looking for a fast-paced hip hop class or slow flow yoga, one of Spartan Fit Center’s 50 plus classes a week can satisfy their need.

The Spartan Fit Center offers a six-month student membership for $45 per month which includes all of their fitness and adult dance classes.

Realizing that there are only four months left in the school year, Russell explained that students also have the opportunity to sign up for a membership now and pick up the final two months in September.

For those who are uninterested in a long term membership, the Spartan Fit Center also offers drop in rates of $8 for a 30 minute class, $10 for a 45 minute class, and $12 for an hour-long class.

“Most gyms don’t focus on the fun, high energy cardio ... that’s not on a treadmill or an elliptical where you’re just doing the same thing over and over...the energy in the studio is just so fun, you really get to start knowing the other members,” Russel said.

Share and discuss “Spartan Fit Center offers workouts for the new year” on social media.