Maryland eliminates men's soccer from Big Ten Tournament in second round

In the semifinal round of the Big Ten Tournament, the men's soccer team (11-4-5 overall, 4-2-2 Big Ten) lost to the Maryland Terrapins (12-5-3 overall, 5-2-1 Big Ten) 0-0 (3-2) on penalty kicks Friday afternoon at Ludwig Field in Maryland. 

The first half was a hard fought defensive battle between the two teams. Neither team could put one through the back of the net ending the first half in a 0-0 tie. 

Maryland had more opportunities in the first 45, the Terrapins took seven shots and four corner kicks, while the Spartans could only manage two shots and failed to earn a corner kick.

The second half was much of the same, neither team could break the scoreless time and through 90 minutes of play a winner could not be decided, sending the semifinal game into extra time. 

While neither team could score in the second 45, the Terrapins earned more opportunities than the Spartans again. Maryland managed to take five shots and two corner kicks compared to three shots and one corner kick for MSU.

The story in overtime was much like the story of the entire game. Through 110 minutes, neither team could score sending the game to penalty kicks. 

Through regulation and overtime the Terrapins managed to take 13 shots and six corner kicks while the Spartans managed just eight shots and one corner kick. 

MSU got the first shot opportunity in the five round PK setup with each team alternating. MSU junior defender Zach Carroll took the first PK, giving the Spartans a 1-0 advantage. Maryland junior midfielder Mael Corboz also converted making it 1-1 after one round.

Junior midfielder Jay Chapman took MSU's second PK but it was saved. Senior midfielder and forward Alex Shinsky scored on his opportunity in the second round giving Maryland the 2-1 advantage. 

Senior midfielder Fatai Alashe scored in the third round tying it at 2-2. It wouldn't be tied for long however, Tsubasa Endoh took the PK for Maryland, MSU junior goalkeeper Zach Bennett appeared to be in good position to make the save, the ball would hit Bennett's hand but went in anyway giving Maryland the 3-2 advantage. 

3-2 is where it would stay, Senior midfielder and forward Tim Kreutz' PK was saved in the fourth round as was Maryland's junior defender Mikey Ambrose PK attempt. To keep the Spartans alive it was up to senior forward Adam Montague but he couldn't covert, giving Maryland the win.

Maryland will move on to play Indiana (12-3-5 overall, 3-3-2 Big Ten) in the Big Ten Tournament championship on Sunday. MSU will wait until Monday's NCAA Tournament selection show to find out who they play next, should they be selected.

Share and discuss “Maryland eliminates men's soccer from Big Ten Tournament in second round” on social media.