Monday, October 28, 2024

Photographs in Brody Hall tell stories of Arabs in Israel

Taking a closer look at the dynamic portraits and testimonials that line the walls of Brody Hall may reveal a message that all MSU students can relate to in some way.

Created by Jewish Israeli photographer Natan Dvir, this new exhibition entitled “Eighteen” shares the stories of young Israeli Palestinians that are turning 18 years old and transitioning into adulthood among the ongoing tensions in the Middle East.

In a statement about the exhibition on the MSU Museum website, Natan Dvir said although Israel was established as a Jewish state in 1948, over a fifth of the population does not identify with the religion.

“In a highly political environment I became interested in the stories of these people living as a minority in a country defined by its majority’s religion,” he said.

MSU Museum Adjunct Curator of Photography Howard Bossen said he was instantly attracted to Dvir’s approach of storytelling after first viewing his work at an event called FotoFest that took place in Houston, Texas this past March.

“His work is very powerful ... he is much more interested in telling complex stories that take time to develop,” Bossen said. “He was able to gain the trust of the people who are in this other community and allowed them to tell their story and present themselves as they want to be seen. His work is about respect. His respect for his subjects and his respect for his viewers.”

Produced by the MSU School of Journalism, the MSU Museum, Residence Education and Housing Services and the Office for Inclusion and Intercultural Initiatives, the exhibit is an attempt at presenting such contemporary issues to MSU students.

While Dvir’s portraits focus on individuals in the Middle East, MSU Museum Acting Director Lora Helou said the exhibit can resonate with any college student because it addresses these universal topics of exploring one’s identity and facing challenges while forging this new path as an adult.

“It helps us think about the global community, but it’s also really personal,” Helou said. “We are really trying to have this exhibit serve as a platform for discussion.”

Share and discuss “Photographs in Brody Hall tell stories of Arabs in Israel” on social media.