Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Hockey defeats Massachusetts in season opener, 5-3

<p>Sophomore forward JT Stenglein guides the puck down the ice Oct. 17, 2014, during a game against Massachusetts at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans defeated the Minutemen, 5-3. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Sophomore forward JT Stenglein guides the puck down the ice Oct. 17, 2014, during a game against Massachusetts at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans defeated the Minutemen, 5-3. Erin Hampton/The State News

The offense powered the hockey team on Friday night against Massachusetts.

MSU (1-0 overall) defeated UMASS (0-2 overall) at Munn Ice Arena in their regular season opener, 5-3.

“I thought it was a good start for us,” head coach Tom Anastos said. “It’s nice to see the puck go in the net.”

It did not take long for MSU to get on the board, as senior Matt Berry tipped in a shot by junior center and team captain Michael Ferrantino to give the Spartans a 1-0 lead just three minutes and 37 seconds into the game.

MSU was able to rebound from a checking from behind penalty by senior right wing Brent Darnell, who was ejected, with a goal by sophomore left wing JT Stenglein, giving the Spartans a 2-0 advantage. Ferrantino provided the assist on the goal with less than three minutes remaining in the first period.

The second period was the most exciting of the evening, featuring two UMASS goals and one MSU goal.

In the period, UMASS did not waste any time cutting the deficit. A goal by freshman forward Keith Burchett made the score 2-1.

Before the Spartans could regroup, the Minutemen fired another goal in the net. This time courtesy of senior forward Zack LaRue, tying the game 2-2.

The back-to-back Minutemen goals came within five minutes of each other.

“We fought back hard after they tied it up,” Berry said. “We didn’t quit, we didn’t give up, we worked hard as a team all night.”

Sophomore left wing Mackenzie MacEachern regained the lead for MSU with his goal 12 minutes and twenty-three seconds into the period. Berry and left defenseman Travis Walsh received credit for the assist.

MSU was able to keep its distance from UMASS in the third period.

Junior center Matt DeBlouw extended MSU’s lead to two goals in the third period, firing a shot from the left side three minutes into the period.

Four minutes after, MacEachern found Berry for another goal, giving the Spartans a 5-2 lead.

UMASS would not go down without a fight, Burchett registered the Minutemen’s third goal of the night and his second with six minutes and forty-seven seconds remaining in the third period.

MSU held the Minutemen from there, winning the game, 5-3.

“I liked our line balance tonight,” Anastos said. “We need to follow up tommorow night.”

The Spartans and Minutemen will do it all over again on Saturday. MSU and UMASS will face off at 7 p.m. at Munn Ice Arena. 

Share and discuss “Hockey defeats Massachusetts in season opener, 5-3” on social media.