Monday, October 28, 2024

Tips for every student to stay safe on campus

When it comes to staying safe on campus, some simple suggestions to abide by can seem obvious, but are nonetheless crucial to keeping students — and their residence halls — in one piece. Every year, campus officials make sure to stress key tips for new and returning students’ safety.

Avoid making yourself a target

MSU police Sgt. Florene McGlothian-Taylor said MSU police constantly deal with personal property theft crimes, whether it’s a stolen bicycle or a backpack. Students should never leave their belongings alone, she added.

“If you’re in the library and you get up to take a break from studying, have a friend watch your belongings or take them with you,” McGlothian-Taylor said.

Locking bikes securely to the bike rack and threading the lock through the tire and frame can also prevent thefts.

Transportation safety

One of the biggest issues this year has been with biker safety, McGlothian-Taylor said. With two major bike accidents within weeks of school starting, McGlothian-Taylor advises bikers to abide by the rules of the road.

Bikers should always be using bike lanes and paths, and never ride in the sidewalk. This is where most of the collisions happen, McGlothian-Taylor said.

Additionally, bikers should use turn signals and dismount their bikes if they are using a crosswalk.

Besides biking, students should utilize other transportation options to keep safe, especially at night.

The CATA Night Owl service transports students between campus buildings at night, and services are available at the main library to escort students back to their residence halls after a late night of studying.

“Just use the buddy system,” McGlothian-Taylor said. “Make certain to look out for each other.”

Home, safe home

Dorm living comes with more rules than the average student can count, but a choice few are absolutely essential to students safety, and the safety of other people living in a residence hall. Safety and Security Services Coordinator for Residence Education and Housing Services Natisha Foster said there are a few tips her department offers to students new to residence hall life.

Lock your doors, even if you are only leaving for a moment

This one seems obvious, but can mean the difference between coming back to the room as it was left, or coming to back to find all the valuables gone. In addition, Foster advises students to not prop their doors open.

Candles (open flames) are not permitted in the residence halls

While everyone loves the smell of a pumpkin spice Yankee candle, no one loves being burnt to a crisp. Opt for potpourri or reed diffusers instead.

Be aware of your surroundings

As a general rule, students should always keep their wits about them. Noting nearby emergency green light phones and knowing where to go in case of an emergency can help students be prepared and feel more secure on campus. Foster also advises students to look out for one another, echoing sentiments campus officials have given throughout last year — “if you see something, say something.”

Share and discuss “Tips for every student to stay safe on campus” on social media.