Friday, May 3, 2024

Student uses band, music to learn culture

<p>Supply chain management junior Luyi Han poses with his trombone on Thursday, at Demonstration Hall. Han went to the Rose Bowl earlier this year and was the first international student in the marching band since John Madden was hired as director. Betsy Agosta/The State News</p>

Supply chain management junior Luyi Han poses with his trombone on Thursday, at Demonstration Hall. Han went to the Rose Bowl earlier this year and was the first international student in the marching band since John Madden was hired as director. Betsy Agosta/The State News

Luyi Han can read Mandarin Chinese, English and music — but he has found the latter more easily understood across continental lines.

When Han first came to the United States, he had a hard time bridging the language gap. However, he used his musical abilities to find a group he felt he truly belonged to and earned himself a trip to the 2014 Rose Bowl in the process.

“When we won the Rose Bowl, everyone went crazy,” said Han, a trombone player. “We couldn’t believe we were in Pasadena for the first two days, and then we couldn’t believe we had won for about a week after.”

As spoils for a game well won, Han received a commemorative Rose Bowl patch for his marching band jacket, which he proudly displays at every opportunity.

“Marching in the parade was fun, but also very long,” Han said. “I think we marched five and a half miles in two and a half hours.”

Although Han was excited as could be to participate in the Rose Bowl, his parents weren’t as acquainted with the importance of the game. They simply thought it was neat that their son got to march in a little parade, he said.

Han, a supply chain management junior, came to MSU from Shanghai, China, where the concept of a marching band is relatively new. Han played a major role in starting one of the first marching bands in 2008 at Kongjiang, the high school he attended in Shanghai.

Han said his parents had told him he would not be able to pursue it professionally or at a collegiate level in China because it was unheard of at the time.

Han’s decision to come to MSU led to another break with convention. He became the first international Spartan Marching Band member that Band Director John Madden had ever seen in his close to 25-year-long career at MSU.

“I feel really special that I’m the only international student in the band,” he said. “I think a lot of other Asian countries don’t really have marching bands, which is why so few international students participate in it here. I’m just so proud.”

Han said the moment he laid eyes on the Spartan Marching Band, he decided that being a member of that band was something he wholeheartedly wanted to pursue.

“Luyi Han had been camping out at band rehearsals for three years,” Madden said during a presentation he gave on the marching band at the last Board of Trustees meeting. “He even turned down a residential assistant position to march with the Spartan Marching Band.”

But Han’s breakthrough didn’t come easily.

“I tried out my sophomore year but didn’t make it in because it is really competitive,” Han said. “It was a bummer for me. I talked to Mr. Madden and he told me to not give up hope, because usually there are 30 people trying out for five open spots.”

Temporarily defeated, Han retreated to the basement of the College of Music where he spent much of his time occupying the practice rooms and honing his brass skills.

The time spent camping out and practicing eventually paid off — Han had made the cut at the beginning of his junior year.

“I still have the letter they sent me,” Han said. “I saw it said congratulations and I was like, ‘Yes!’ I yelled so loud and was jumping around my apartment.”

Rain, shine or thunderous storms, Han donned his uniform and marched every day from 4:30 to 6 p.m. with the band he is so boisterously proud to be a part of.

“(Han) was great, he worked just as hard as anyone else,” Han’s squad leader and hospitality business senior Mark Small said. ”(Han) is always really concerned about the success of the band and wants to make sure everything looks and sounds as well as it can.”

Although Han does not intend to pursue a career in music, he does intend on staying in the band for as long as he can, he said.

“I may want to delay one year of graduation so I can march one more semester,” he said. “I mean, I can legally be here for five years. So why not?”

“It’s an honor to march with these great people who are all so enthusiastic and passionate about marching band,” he said. “They make me feel like I’m not just a kid from Shanghai, China. I’m from the Spartan Marching Band.”

Editor’s note: This article has been changed to accurately reflect the time of marching band practice.

Share and discuss “Student uses band, music to learn culture” on social media.