Sunday, October 20, 2024

Committed to memory: celebrated games on home turf

Editor’s note: This article has been edited to accurately reflect the score of the 2011 MSU-Wisconsin game.

It’s been around for 15 United States presidents. It’s had four different names and has quintupled in size since it opened. It cost $160,000 to build and has been home to hundreds of All-Big Ten honorees, 15 head football coaches and six national title teams.

This weekend, it celebrates its 500th game.

As the MSU football team (4-1 overall, 1-0 Big Ten) welcomes Indiana (3-2, 1-0) for a weekend of Homecoming festivities, the program also celebrates 500 games at Spartan Stadium and will welcome back the Rose Bowl-winning 1987 Spartans for a weekend of celebratory activities.

As the Spartans host a weekend to celebrate the past, here’s a look at the most memorable games in the 90-year history of Spartan Stadium.

Oct. 6, 1923- Michigan State 21, Lake Forest 6

When it comes to memorable moments at Spartan Stadium, few will think of a 1923 matchup with Lake Forest. But in the storied history of games at the venue, this one stands out because it was the first.

Several years of construction led to the opening of the 14,000-seat College Field, which put Michigan Agricultural College, as the university was known at the time, on the college sports map.

Under head coach Ralph Young, the Aggies, the team’s nickname prior to changing to Spartans in 1926, defeated Lake Forest in the inaugural game in the venue. The program only played Lake Forest three more times in history and have not scheduled another game with them in more than 87 years.

Nov. 14, 1953- Michigan State 14, Michigan 6

During the first part of the 20th century, college football had its royalty.

Notre Dame. Alabama. And, of course, Michigan.

While the Wolverines erupted for 10 national championships prior to 1950, the Spartans largely struggled, growing up in the shadow of arguably the most dominant football program of the era.

However, in the final year under head coach Clarence “Biggie” Munn, the Spartans beat Michigan at home for the first time in history en route to a 9-1 season and a Rose Bowl victory over UCLA. Since then, the Spartans have won 11 more games against the Wolverines at home, carrying a 12-15-1 home record against Michigan since 1953.

Nov. 19, 1966- Michigan State 10, Notre Dame 10

The name says it all: “Game of the Century.”

No. 1 Notre Dame came into Spartan Stadium for a date with the defending national champion No. 2 Spartans. A hard-fought affair filled with big hits by MSU’s Charles “Bubba” Smith and big plays by Notre Dame quarterback Coley O’Brien, who replaced injured starter Terry Hanratty, led to an instant classic.

With the Fighting Irish driving with a chance to score near the end of the game, Notre Dame head coach Ara Parseghian elected to run out the clock with a quarterback sneak, settling for a 10-10 tie to allow both schools to claim national championships.

Nov. 9, 1974- Michigan State 16, Ohio State 13

During a mostly forgettable 7-3-1 season for head coach Denny Stoltz, who was the successor to the legendary Duffy Daugherty, the Spartans upset No. 1 Ohio State before a crowd of 78,533.

With a roster featuring running back Archie Griffin, in the first of his two Heisman Trophy winning seasons, the Buckeyes came into East Lansing as heavy favorites to make a run at the national championship.

After the Spartans took the lead with 3:17 remaining, the Buckeyes orchestrated a strong drive, getting down to MSU’s 6-yard line with 40 seconds to play. However, a run by fullback Champ Henson was ruled short of the end zone and the Spartans were able to run out the clock in the scrum, delivering a significant blow to the Buckeyes’ season.

Sept. 7, 1987- Michigan State 27, Southern California 13

The night game has become an annual tradition at Spartan Stadium. However, there were none before an opening night showdown with Southern California in 1987.

Led by powerful running back Lorenzo White and the famed “Gang Green” defense, the No. 17 Spartans powered through the No. 19 Trojans in a 27-13 win. It was the first of two Spartan victories over USC that season, as MSU also came up with a 20-17 win in the Rose Bowl.

Nov. 3, 2001- Michigan State 26, Michigan 24

There have been many memorable finishes in the MSU-Michigan rivalry. But none are remembered quite like this one.

With the Wolverines leading MSU with 17 seconds to play, quarterback Jeff Smoker scrambled to the right before being stopped short of the goal line, which likely would have ended the game. Smoker got the Spartans up to the line of scrimmage and spiked the ball with one second remaining.

However, MSU’s clock operator stopped the clock too soon, allowing the Spartans to get off another play. On the next play, Smoker found running back TJ Duckett in the end zone for a touchdown, causing a moment of elation at Spartan Stadium and tremendous frustration for the Wolverines.

Sept. 18, 2010- Michigan State 34, Notre Dame 31

One of the most significant moments of Mark Dantonio’s tenure at MSU, the Spartans stole the show on a trick play called “Little Giants.

Lining up for a field goal with the opportunity to tie in overtime, punter Aaron Bates took the snap but instead stood up and fired a pass to tight end Charlie Gantt for a 29-yard touchdown to stun the Fighting Irish.

The play also is remembered, as Dantonio suffered a mild heart attack after the game and was hospitalized for a few days.

Oct. 22, 2011- Michigan State 37, Wisconsin 31

A year after Dantonio gave MSU “Little Giants,” he gave a “Rocket” encore.

Tied with Wisconsin with four seconds to play, quarterback Kirk Cousins dropped back in the pocket before firing a deep pass to the end zone looking for someone — anyone — to catch the ball. The pass initially was tipped by a Wisconsin defender but found wide receiver Keith Nichol, who powered his way in for a touchdown, and a victory for the Spartans.

Check out our interactive breakdown of Spartan Stadium’s best moments:

Share and discuss “Committed to memory: celebrated games on home turf ” on social media.