Sunday, October 27, 2024

RHA to sponsor MSU chapter of Habitat for Humanity

The Residence Halls Association, or RHA, approved a bill to sponsor the MSU chapter of Habitat for Humanity.

“Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit that builds and repairs houses,” said Lindsay Bridges, communications and public relations junior and member of the group.

Bridges said the group is based on volunteer work and donations.

Human resources sophomore Lauren Martin said the group helps refurbish the houses of families who have gone through a financial crisis, adding that the group usually reaches out to the families.

Martin said that because RHA is the voice of students living on-campus, it is important to get their input and suggestions about how the group is doing. Habitat for Humanity was also sponsored by RHA during the organization’s last session.

“It is important for RHA to give students the opportunity to engage in philanthropic events,” said RHA President Zachary DeRade. RHA sponsors groups which either improve on-campus student life or group with philanthropic initiatives, which Habitat for Humanity is part of.

DeRade said the sponsorship would allow the group to get promoted by RHA.

Martin said the group has so far refurbished three houses this semester and will be working on refurbishing a house this weekend in Lansing. She explained that the MSU chapter partners with the Lansing Habitat for Humanity to work on houses in the Lansing area.

Share and discuss “RHA to sponsor MSU chapter of Habitat for Humanity” on social media.