Monday, June 17, 2024

Open house shows students available health services

<p>Human biology senior Meghan Vanderbeke, left, and physiology senior Tori Verkest, right, sign off scavenger hunt sheets Oct. 23, 2013, at Olin Health Center. Olin held a Halloween-themed open house to show students the different serves that are offered. Margaux Forster/The State News</p>

Human biology senior Meghan Vanderbeke, left, and physiology senior Tori Verkest, right, sign off scavenger hunt sheets Oct. 23, 2013, at Olin Health Center. Olin held a Halloween-themed open house to show students the different serves that are offered. Margaux Forster/The State News

MSU Student Health Services and the Student Health Advisory Council hosted its eighth-annual open house at the Olin Health Center Wednesday night.

The event is a chance for students to meet the health staff and check out the health resources MSU has to offer, Health Promotion and Communication Specialist Allyson Rogers said.

“We have tables set up throughout Olin highlighting our various services and departments, each with unique activities and prizes,” Rogers said. “It’s a chance for students to engage with both staff and other students, while offering education about Student Health Services and various health topics pertinent to their time here in college.”

With tables on each floor of Olin, and staff and faculty handing out candy, the event was set up trick-or-treat style. MSU Social Norms handed out their popular duck T-shirts, and students could hop in a ball pit or participate in a “Know Your Solo” activity — a thought-provoking conversation starter about the amount of alcohol actually in a cup when making a drink, Rogers said.

Some of the stations provided information about departments within Student Health Services, such as the Olin Allergy and Immunizations clinic.

Health assistant Debra Cook Smith said large numbers of MSU students make the choice to get vaccinated while at school.

Both the Affordable Care Act and individual insurance companies are making it possible for more vaccinations to be covered by insurance.

Some stations were manned by members of student health groups — like Spartan Body Pride, formerly known as Respecting and Understanding Body Image.

Nutritional sciences senior Breanna Mason said she was hoping to expand her group, which promotes positive body image on campus.

“It’s sad to see what people, especially girls, would do to meet society’s norms,” Mason said. “But beauty comes in all sizes.”

Student Health Advisory Council member Laura Krhovsky said the open house can help students know more about their on-campus health options.

“A lot of times, students don’t know the opportunities offered at Olin,” said Krhovsky, a biomedical laboratory science senior. “This is a way for us to reach out and raise awareness.”

Share and discuss “Open house shows students available health services” on social media.