Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Midnight Madness a blast for many

<p>Men&#8217;s basketball head coach Tom Izzo enters the Breslin Center on top of a cannon Oct. 18, 2013, during Midnight Madness. The crowd was lead to believe that it was Izzo that was shot out of the cannon. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Men’s basketball head coach Tom Izzo enters the Breslin Center on top of a cannon Oct. 18, 2013, during Midnight Madness. The crowd was lead to believe that it was Izzo that was shot out of the cannon. Julia Nagy/The State News

For a moment, it seemed as though head coach Tom Izzo had pulled off an impressive Evel Knievel impersonation.

Clad in stuntman gear, Izzo rode a cannon, hashtagged #IzzoCannon, into Breslin Center. He joined his wife and kids at the center of the court with a helmet under his arm.

Moments later, a person who many assumed to be Izzo climbed into the cannon. After a five-second countdown, the person was launched into the air and onto a net.

The crowd went wild. Izzo’s latest Midnight Madness stunt was a hit. However, it was too good to be true. Izzo grabbed the mic and revealed the trick: it was not himself that was shot out of the cannon, but a stuntwoman.

“I know most of you are disappointed because most of you wanted me to splatter on the floor,” Izzo said, eliciting laughs from the audience.

Friday night was 2013 Midnight Madness. Breslin Center was packed with fans looking to catch a glimpse of Izzo’s latest edition of the basketball team, which many pundits have ranked in preseason polls as one of the top three teams in the nation.

“These guys have worked their tail off the whole summer,” Izzo told the crowd. “It’s been an incredible, incredible summer for them. There’s a lot of high expectations, I understand that. But not any higher than we have.”

Despite the cannon switch, some fans weren’t fooled. Grand Rapids resident Eric Terry said he had a feeling Izzo wasn’t the one in the cannon.

“I knew they’d never risk that, but I thought it was cool,” Terry said.

Fans were treated to player introductions and scrimmages played by both the men’s and women’s basketball teams.

The men’s scrimmage was a point of interest for many fans. Junior forward Brendan Dawson displayed a leaping ability that recalled his athleticism before tearing his ACL two seasons ago. Freshman guard Alvin Ellis III showed his hops as well, rising over senior center Adreian Payne for a hard dunk.

Junior guard Travis Trice had perhaps the most impressive showing at the scrimmage, draining threes and displaying a general knack for making plays at the point guard position.

Redshirt junior center Madison Williams had a special moment Friday night. Women’s basketball coach Suzy Merchant, who was dressed in camo with the rest of the team, addressed the crowd after player introductions and said Williams exemplified the warrior concept that her team displayed with the camo.

Williams, who has suffered multiple ACL injuries in her career, was then showered with cheers and applause from the crowd.

Environmental studies and agriscience freshman Dani Heisler, who had attended the event several times with her family before going as an MSU student, said the 2013 Midnight Madness was thrilling.

“Everyone was really excited and hype,” she said. “It was a good time.”

Share and discuss “Midnight Madness a blast for many” on social media.