Monday, September 23, 2024

East Lansing offers Halloween treats downtown

<p>East Lansing resident Alex Skrotzi, 3, goes trick-or-treating along Grand River Avenue on Oct. 24, 2013. Businesses along Grand River Avenue passed out candy to trick-or-treaters of all ages. Khoa Nguyen/The State News</p>

East Lansing resident Alex Skrotzi, 3, goes trick-or-treating along Grand River Avenue on Oct. 24, 2013. Businesses along Grand River Avenue passed out candy to trick-or-treaters of all ages. Khoa Nguyen/The State News

Downtown East Lansing was transformed into a Halloween wonderland on Thursday evening, complete with superheroes, princesses, monsters and candy.

The shops along Grand River Avenue opened their doors for trick-or-treaters during the city’s annual Great Pumpkin Walk. To provide the city’s children with a safe trick-or-treating environment, more than 50 local businesses passed out treats to the children clad in costumes.

“We usually get 800-1,200 kids in here,” Curious Book Shop employee Mark Wojcik said. “It’s fun to notice the changing costume trends: princesses are up, Batmans are down.”

East Lansing resident Sue Yang took part in the activities with her niece and nephew, a tradition she said they have enjoyed for the past few years. Her nephew, Hero, 10, was dressed as the Crypt Keeper, while her niece, Venus, 4, was dressed as The Little Mermaid — complete with a vibrant red wig.

“It’s really fun to bring the kids out of the house,” Yang said. “They have so much fun in the community.”

Kids need to stay safe when going door to door while trick or treating, which is one of the reasons Collegeville Textbook Company employee Craig Rasmussen believes this is an important event.

“Not all neighborhoods are safe, so it’s nice to give the children a place where they can be,” he said. “It also helps local businesses get people in the door. The best part, though, is handing out the candy.”

The greek community also provided a friendly Halloween-themed event for the city’s children with their annual Safe Halloween, located on M.A.C. Avenue between Burcham and Elizabeth streets.

“The greek community has been doing this for over 20 years,” said Anna Richards, the vice president of external relations for the MSU Panhellenic Council. “We’re really proud to keep the legacy going.”

Children had an abundance of activities to choose from, and the neighboring streets were blocked off to ensure the safety of those in attendance.

“This is a college town, so kids aren’t necessarily able to trick-or-treat,” she said. “It’s nice to give them a fun, safe experience.”

Share and discuss “East Lansing offers Halloween treats downtown” on social media.