Reigning Big Ten Tourney champs poised for 2013

Men’s Soccer Head Coach Damon Rensing made it clear that a big goal for the MSU Men’s soccer team this season is to be the best team in the state.

With a matchup with Western Michigan on Sunday at 2 p.m. in the first regular season game of the season, his mission starts early.

“We play against Western Michigan, University of Detroit and University of Michigan this fall, so that goal there starts on Sunday,” Rensing said. “In the Big Ten preseason coaches poll, Michigan State was selected second behind the national champions Indiana, so we’ve got a good group here and we feel very good about what’s going on.”

They’ll take on Detroit in Detroit on September 11, and finish off the regular season against Michigan on November 9 at DeMartin Stadium.

The Spartans finish off the preseason with the green and white game at 6:30 p.m. at DeMartin Stadium.

In the two previous exhibition games, MSU lost to No. 4 North Carolina 2-1 in Fort Wayne, Ind, and came away with a 0-0 draw against Butler in Grand Rapids.

Rensing said his squad learned some important lessons against the fourth best team in the country, and the 3,000 people at the Butler match at East Kentwood High School added to the atmosphere and helped the team play better.

While there are starters like senior defender Kevin Cope and junior forward Tim Kreutz retuning, there are a plethora of young freshman Rensing will plug into the lineup.

The Spartans have five true freshman and a pair of redshirt freshman.

After winning the Big Ten tournament last season, there are high expectations for the team this year, but Rensing said last year’s performance gives the team momentum going forward.

“Finishing the season strong and being in the NCAA tournament, our guys are looking to get back there,” he said. “Certainly we went through some bumps. As tough as it is to win in Division I soccer and the Big Ten, a lot of our guys have that (drive).

Share and discuss “Reigning Big Ten Tourney champs poised for 2013” on social media.