Sunday, October 27, 2024

Board of Trustees to vote on 2.8 percent tuition increase for 2013-14

With MSU Board of Trustees meeting quickly approaching, estimates on tuition rates for the 2013-14 academic year have been released.

At Friday’s meeting, which will be held in the Administration Building, trustees will be asked to approve an average tuition increase of 2.8 percent for in-state undergraduates, according to a press release issued by university spokesman Jason Cody. The tuition rate has been adjusted after receiving a 1.82 percent increase on in-state appropriations. If state aid had shown no increase from previous years, like trustees projected last June, tuition would have increased by 4 percent.

If the tuition rate is approved, incoming freshman and sophomores can expect a 1.9 percent increase, which levels out to about $8 more on average per credit hour. The jump would be slightly higher for juniors and seniors at 3.6 percent boost, with an average of about $16.50 more per credit hour.

The split in cost between grades came as a result of a differential increase, a new tactic for MSU in terms of tuition. Dave Byelich, the assistant vice president and director for the MSU Office of Planning and Budgets, said the larger burden is placed on the junior and senior undergraduates to help make the college transition easier — and cheaper — for new students.

“The biggest step for them is moving from their communities to East Lansing,” Byelich said. “We want to provide an opportunity for these students to try and make that step easier. Once they are here, we have financial aid counselors, academic advisers, residence hall staff and neighborhood apparatuses set up, so we can surround students with the kind of assistance that allows them to continue.”

Despite the split, the bulk of the increase still would fall on out-of-state undergraduates, as well as graduate students. Nonresidents should expect a possible 3.6 percent increase, or about $39.62 more per credit hour. Graduate students will see a 4 percent increase on average, with in-state students paying $24 more per credit hour and nonresidents paying $47 more.

To offset the increase, financial aid is expected to increase by 4.5 percent. On average, federal financial aid for MSU students has increased steadily by about 59 percent since 2008. The university also has decreased overall spending by $110 million since 2010, both through cuts to health care for faculty and forgone wage increases, to help level out tuition costs.

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees to vote on 2.8 percent tuition increase for 2013-14” on social media.