Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Women's basketball advances to Big Ten Tournament semi-finals with 62-46 win against Michigan

Sophomore forward Becca Mills shoots as Michigan center Rachel Sheffer blocks during the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament against Michigan on March 8, 2013, at Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Ill. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines 62-46. Julia Nagy/The State News

Hoffman Estates, Ill. – The MSU women’s basketball team advanced to the semifinals of the women’s Big Ten Tournament with t a 62-46 win over in-state rival Michigan.

Junior guard Klarissa Bell led all scores with 20 points, while, sophomore guard, and Chicago native, Kiana Johnson had seven assists to go with seven points of her own.

The Wolverines were cold from the field, and went through a stretch of nearly 10 minutes in which they didn’t get a field goal. They finished the game 18-52 from the floor, including 5-23 from 3-point range.

In addition to going 7-8 from the free throw line, MSU shot 51 percent from the field.

The Spartans scored 14 second-chance points compared to U-M’s 7, and had 30 of their points come inside the paint.

MSU with face off against tournament number one seed, No. 8 Penn State Saturday around 7:30 p.m. for a chance to go to the championship game Sunday afternoon.

Share and discuss “Women's basketball advances to Big Ten Tournament semi-finals with 62-46 win against Michigan” on social media.