Women's basketball picks up much needed win against Northwestern

It might have been more challenging than they were expecting, but the Spartans pulled out a much-needed 54-45 win against Northwestern at home Wednesday night.

The MSU women’s basketball team overcame a 10-point first half deficit and poor shooting start to earn a win in a matchup they couldn’t afford to drop. With three games remaining in the regular season and positioning in the Big Ten to jockey for, a home loss to the lowly Wildcats (12-14 overall, 4-9 Big Ten) could have been detrimental.

Sophomore forward Becca Mills, who rejoined the starting lineup, had a game-high 15 points to lead the Spartans (20-6, 8-5), while it was senior guard Jasmine Thomas who filled the stat sheet with 10 points, six rebounds, three steals and three blocks.

After entering halftime with a two-point advantage, MSU pulled away from the Wildcats via a 16-2 run midway through the second half that included eight consecutive points from junior forward Annalise Pickrel and put the Spartans up 48-35 with 4:12 left to play.

From there, MSU never lead by less than seven points and four free throws from guards Kiana Johnson,

Share and discuss “Women's basketball picks up much needed win against Northwestern” on social media.