Sunday, October 27, 2024

Students head off to winter study abroad programs

Allison Vanderkolk won’t be going home for the holidays this year.

Instead, the biosystems engineering senior will spend her winter break in Costa Rica studying ecological engineering.

Vanderkolk is one of about 117 students studying abroad this winter in one of the MSU Office of Study Abroad’s seven winter break programs.

“This actually will help toward my major,” she said. “I will actually get to do hands-on stuff that’s directly tied toward my (degree).”

Other areas MSU will send students on study abroad programs during this year’s break include locations in New Zealand, London and Brazil.

Cindy Chalou, associate director of operations in the Office of Study Abroad, said the reason students like to study abroad during this particular time of year is to earn additional credits if they are too busy during the summer or academic school year.

“Winter break is a popular time to go,” Chalou said. “Students can fulfill or earn credits in a short period of time between semesters if they have internships or jobs in the summers.”

Chalou said most of the programs leave immediately after finals and usually lasts about three weeks before typically returning to school the Sunday before the first day of classes.

Being able to get a few extra credits and not sacrificing an entire semester is a plus for many students, but Cheryl Benner, communications manager for the Office of Study Abroad, said she could see a slight negative to going on trips during break.

“These programs run from mid-December to early January so students may be (away) from their families during the holidays,” Benner said.

But biosystems engineering senior Ben Thomas said this is a great time of the year to study abroad because it’s shorter than most study abroad programs, but long enough to get extensive experience.

“I’m really looking forward to the facility the art department set up with (University of Costa Rica),” Thomas said. “And seeing how that works and how a different culture approaches nano-solutions because that’s what our major is.”

Share and discuss “Students head off to winter study abroad programs” on social media.