Sunday, October 27, 2024

Food addiction possibly likened to substance abuse

With the U.S. being one of the top 10 most obese countries in the world, a new course wrapping up this semester has challenged students to confront the causes of obesity and answer one question: Is consuming food an addiction, much like consuming drugs such as cocaine?

Alex Johnson, an assistant professor in the Department of Psychology, is in his first year at MSU and said he developed the Neurobiology of Food Intake and Overeating class to debate the cause of obesity and to find ways to curb the problem in the U.S.

Johnson said he wanted to figure out the mechanisms that cause obese people to continue to eat, although they know they are consuming more food than necessary.

“(Obese individuals have) a greater risk of a variety of cardiovascular complications,” Johnson said. “At this moment in time, (we’re) not able to effectively treat obesity.”

During the debate, Johnson’s students were asked to make a case for or against the theory that there is an addiction to food.

“If we were to consider obesity as a substance use disorder (or a) substance dependence, there would be direct implications both on how we diagnose and treat the condition,” Johnson said.

Psychology senior Sophie Rutkowski was against Johnson’s theory, stating there was not enough evidence to support the case.

“If food addiction is treated the same way drug addiction is, it will not be effective, due to the fact that natural and drug reinforcers affect the brain differently,” Rutkowski said.

Psychology senior Leslie Aririguzo said she believes there is enough evidence to support food addiction.

Aririguzo said that a study conducted at Yale University saw several similarities between sugar and drug dependence.

“Using fMRI scans, researchers there found that food cravings and drug cravings activate the same regions in the brain,” she said. “That information suggests that food and abused substances use the same pathways in the brain, causing similar effects.”

Although the issue is far from being resolved, Johnson said having an open discussion is important for people to recognize their problems and make use of the information.

“Knowledge is key,” Johnson said. “The more you understand the mechanism, you can make use of that information to alter your own dietary habits.”

Share and discuss “Food addiction possibly likened to substance abuse” on social media.