Men's soccer secures road victory against Ohio State

Senior midfielder Luke Norman fights to save the ball from going out of bounds on Friday, Sept. 21, 2012 at DeMartin stadium. Norman contributed one of two goals in the Spartan's 2-1 victory over Western Michigan.
Senior midfielder Luke Norman fights to save the ball from going out of bounds on Friday, Sept. 21, 2012 at DeMartin stadium. Norman contributed one of two goals in the Spartan's 2-1 victory over Western Michigan. —
Photo by James Ristau | and James Ristau The State News

The MSU men’s soccer team (4-6-1) picked up its first Big Ten win Sunday afternoon in a 2-1 victory over Ohio State.

The match remained scoreless for 68 minutes until sophomore midfielder Blake Skamiera set up a ball for senior midfielder Luke Norman, who put the ball away.

Less than two minutes later, freshman midfielder Sean Conerty scored his first goal in his college career, later to become the game-winner.

With less than two minutes left to play, Ohio State found the back of MSU’s net, bringing the score to 2-1.

MSU started freshman goalkeeper Zach Bennett, who was making his first collegiate start. He joined Skamiera and senior midfielder Nick Wilson in making the starting lineup for the first time.

MSU will take on Detroit at 4 p.m. on Wednesday at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field.

Share and discuss “Men's soccer secures road victory against Ohio State” on social media.