Hockey swept by Golden Gophers

<p>Michigan State goaie Will Yanakeff defends against Travis Boyd of Minnesota in the second period on Friday, October 12, 2012, in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Bruce Bisping/Minneapolis Star Tribune/MCT</p>

Michigan State goaie Will Yanakeff defends against Travis Boyd of Minnesota in the second period on Friday, October 12, 2012, in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Bruce Bisping/Minneapolis Star Tribune/MCT

Photo by Bruce Bisping | The State News

The No. 1/2-ranked Minnesota lived up to its ranking this weekend, sweeping MSU hockey (0-2-0) in a season-opening weekend.

Minnesota barreled past MSU on its home ice, 5-1, Friday night and 7-1 Saturday night.

The Gophers kicked off the series with a bang, netting three scores past junior goalie Will Yanakeff in the opening period.

Minnesota found the back of the net two more times during the duration of the first game, once in the second period and once in the third.

Sophomore forward Tanner Sorenson had the lone goal for MSU, coming off a pass from freshman forward David Bondra, giving Bondra his first collegiate point.

Yanakeff made 37 saves throughout the game, and Minnesota goalie Michael Shibrowski had 25.
The second game followed a similar pattern.

Minnesota got on the board less than two minutes into the game and racked up another three goals in the first period, two in the second and one in the third.

MSU scored in the third on a shot from sophomore forward Brent Darnell.

Yanakeff played the first two periods, totaling 18 saves, and freshman goaltender Jake Hildebrand played the third in his collegiate debut, making nine saves.

Minnesota’s Adam Wilcox made 10 saves.

MSU will take on Niagara at Munn Ice Arena 7:05 p.m. Friday and 7:05 p.m. Saturday.

Share and discuss “Hockey swept by Golden Gophers ” on social media.