Saturday, October 26, 2024

A day in nature

Garden home to natural beauty

As the summer days grow warmer, the MSU Horticulture Gardens grow bigger and brighter.

The gardens, which encompass 14 acres, are bursting with life this time of year.

Manager of the Judith DeLapa Perennial Gardens Renata Reibitz said she is hard at work making sure all of the flower beds are mulched, weeded and presentable for visitors.

“I feel that each garden bed as a whole should present a picture,” Reibitz said.

“As you walk around, each bed should be little vignettes that excite you and intrigue you with their colors and shapes.”

Dr. Art Cameron, director of the MSU Horticulture Gardens, said that one of the greatest things about the gardens is that they can be visited anytime of the day.

“One of the interesting things about our gardens is that we’re open 24/7, and there is no entrance requirement,” Cameron said.

“We get hundreds of thousands of people through the gardens each summer.”

Pinckney, Mich., resident and mother of two, Melissa Bolen said she and her children look forward to coming to the gardens.

“They especially enjoy walking through the Alice in Wonderland maze,” Bolen said.

Cameron said that the gardens often are nominated as one of the top attractions in the Greater Lansing area.

“We like to really hope and think that we’re part of this Greater Lansing community,” Cameron said.

Share and discuss “A day in nature” on social media.