Wednesday, July 3, 2024

The best laid plans often go awry

<p>Merritt</p>

Merritt

Editor’s Note: Views expressed in guest columns and letters to the editor reflect the views of the author, not the views of The State News.

Here we are: the final weeks of the academic year and, consequently, my final column. As I brainstormed for a topic for this week, I decided that my last column should be a culmination of the things that brought me to this point, something I really wanted to put out there while I had the opportunity and the platform.

As all of us end part of our lives with the close of each semester and look to a new chapter. Whether it be a new job, new classes, or simply the knowledge that things are changing; fear, doubt, and the unknown easily are spotted. As a goal-oriented person, I always have tried to have a plan. This year, my plan was to finish off my swimming career with personal best times, great performances at the Big Ten championships, great memories with my teammates, solid academic performances, my diploma and admission into law school. Or at least that was my plan as of fall 2011.

Throughout most of the 2010-11 season, a shoulder injury compromised my season and left me practicing sporadically and questioning how I would ever be physically capable of achieving the goals I had set for myself. Headed into the spring, the plan was to rest my shoulder, score a good internship in Lansing so I could get back to training in the summer and take the LSAT.

On a whim, I applied for an internship with the U.S. Olympic Committee in Colorado Springs, Colo. Since my shoulder had yet to improve much, and I needed to take the summer off from swimming, the altitude and amazing opportunities to improve my fitness levels outdoors seemed like a great idea. An unexpected change led to the most amazing summer of my life.

I learned a ton, had some great experiences and met some amazing people. I took the LSAT the day before I left for my internship, dead set on applying to law school in the fall and pursuing a career in sports law. During my internship away from my usual environment, I found that perhaps sports law wasn’t what I was meant to do. The public relations aspect of my internship intrigued me, but I had planned all through college to attend law school, and that was just that.

I returned from my internship in August 2011 with many questions, but figured I would just stay the course.

On Aug. 24, I found out that I would need shoulder surgery to return to normal physical activity and a productive life. I would be out of the pool for a minimum of six weeks and a maximum of four to six months. Assuming that a torn labrum and the six months recovery would be too much of a deviation from my plan, I knew nothing major could be wrong. The more minor surgery was probably what I was going to need. I could handle six weeks.

When I awoke from surgery, my first question for the nurse was, “What did he do?” She informed me that my labrum had been torn as well as some other issues. That meant I would be out of the water for at least four months and would not return to full potential for up to a year. My plans went out the window in the matter of two hours. My situation forced me to realize that I am not in control.

Personally, I believe God has a plan for me and each and every one of us. Perhaps that is not your belief, but if you really consider your life, I bet you can agree that you are not in complete control.

If it weren’t for my shoulder injury, I would never have written for the State News because during season, I wouldn’t have had time. I would not have spent my summer in Colorado Springs among some of the greatest people I have ever met. I would not have rethought my career goals and decided perhaps there was another career path that was better suited for me, something I am truly excited to learn more about.

Next year, I will be using my final year of eligibility and swimming for the team that I have wanted to be a part of since I was 10 years old. I will be working toward my master’s degree in public relations, which after a meeting with my advisor, I am even more excited about. My plans from a year ago are completely different, and I would never have been able to guess that this is how things would look at the end of my undergraduate career.

The greatest lesson I learned from the past year is that I am not always in control. I cannot always control the things that happens to me, but I do have a say in how I react to them and the choices I make in their wake. Remember what you stand for and act upon those values when faced with the unknown.

I wish all of you the best of luck on whatever path you find yourself on.

Victoria Merritt is a State News guest columnist and political theory and constitutional democracy senior. Reach her at merrittv@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “The best laid plans often go awry” on social media.