Saturday, October 26, 2024

Students compete for Mr. and Miss Black MSU

Music performance and mechanical engineering freshman Rashad Timmons labeled himself as “the exception” on Thursday night because of his background viewing drugs and corruption in his family.

Timmons was one of three men and three women who competed at Kellogg Center auditorium for the title of Mr. or Miss Black MSU in the Mr. & Miss Black MSU contest.

The event started with contestants performing an opening group dance wearing Egyptian-style clothing. Next, contestants shared their personal stories through a speech, highlighting the positives and negatives of their lives.

For the first time in the history of the event, the Black Student Alliance, or BSA, decided to include women in the competition this year.

“We decided to not only highlight the black males on campus but also the females on campus,” said Monica Sanders, interdisciplinary studies in

social science and human resources and society senior and programming director of the event.

The contestants were judged in five areas — interviews, autobiographical introduction, a question-and-answer session, talent and community awareness. Each male and female winner will receive a scholarship toward their education.

The nine judges looked at qualities such as originality, poise, creative, showmanship, self-confidence and passion to choose the winner, Sanders said.

Advertising sophomore Lauren McGrier said she came to the event to support the women in this competition.

“It’s good to know that our student body is putting on something positive. It’s about scholarship and leadership,” McGrier said.

First-year law student Addison Boyland looked at a combination of qualities of each contestant depending on the category, but what sets a contestant apart, in his view, was showmanship and originality.

“You can do something, but the way you do it speaks a lot about them as a person,” Boyland said.

Share and discuss “Students compete for Mr. and Miss Black MSU” on social media.