Friday, September 20, 2024

Professor leaves positive legacy

Biochemistry professor Rawle Hollingsworth in his lab on Wednesday March 9, 2005.

During biochemistry professor Rawle Hollingsworth’s nearly 30 years at MSU, Tom Sharkey, chair of the biochemistry and molecular biology department, remembers having many conversations with him during casual run-ins outside the office.

One encounter sticks out in Sharkey’s mind, who said he has a strong memory of listening to Hollingsworth explain carbohydrate involvement in blood types one day in the parking lot.

“I was just fascinated to learn the things he was explaining,” Sharkey said. “It’s just one of those moments in time that get frozen for reasons that you don’t really know why.”

Hollingsworth, a 55-year-old Haslett, Mich. resident, died from a pulmonary embolism on Feb. 29.

After completing his doctorate at the University of the West Indies in the Caribbean, Hollingsworth started as an assistant professor at MSU in 1983 and climbed the ranks to become a full professor.

“I would say his enthusiasm really was the thing I continually think about when I think of him,” Sharkey said.

Rawle Hollingsworth met his wife, Saleela Hollingsworth, at the University of the West Indies. The two were married for 26 years and had two children, Misha, 20, and Akhil, 15.

Saleela Hollingsworth said her husband loved traveling, reading and music and always put the children’s interests first.

“Even though he worked very hard outside the house, when he came home he was 100 percent hands-on with both of the children,” she said.

Saleela Hollingsworth described Rawle Hollingsworth as an upbeat person who always set high goals for himself. He also had a passion for learning and usually could be found with his head in a book, Saleela Hollingsworth said, calling him a “walking encyclopedia.”

As an accomplished scientist and researcher, Rawle Hollingsworth had more than 250 papers published in scientific journals and has 45 patents. Near the time of his death, Rawle Hollingsworth was working on modifying different carbohydrates for a variety of uses with graduate student Juliana Sacoman.

After joining his lab in 2008, Sacoman recalled fond memories listening to stories of Hollingsworth’s past and family.

Sacoman said she always will remember Hollingsworth’s optimism and positive attitude and remembered whenever she was frustrated or confused, he would tell her that when the time comes, she will find the answer she’s looking for. She said Hollingsworth taught her to be a more patient person and to keep a positive state of mind.

“He was definitely a very bright professor, so I can’t enumerate how much I learned (about) science from him,” Sacoman said.

More than anything, Rawle Hollingsworth relished his role and responsibility as a father, Saleela Hollingsworth said.

“Seeing the kids and seeing how accomplished they are and how far they’ve gone — I think that was what he was most proud of,” she said.

Share and discuss “Professor leaves positive legacy” on social media.