Saturday, October 26, 2024

Students use various E.L. delivery services

Clinical laboratory sciences senior Nicole Brereton reads a magazine as she waits for her clothes to dry Tuesday at Point Laundry, 2800 E. Grand River Ave. Many students have been choosing to wash their clothes at a laundromat or other services, rather than the dorms. Derek Berggren/The State News

When marketing freshman Mia Jefferson came to MSU in fall 2011, she heard rumors from students that the laundry room in her building would damage her clothes, and she did not look forward to spending hours doing laundry.

After avoiding her dorm laundry room by heading home twice to wash her clothing, she said she and her roommate looked for a more convenient alternative.

That’s when they stumbled upon a laundry pickup and delivery service.

Point Laundry, 2800 E. Grand River Ave., and other delivery and convenience services have become increasingly popular with students on campus because they save students time, Point Laundry owner Nick Tesseris said.

He added about 90 percent of his delivery business is made up of students living on and off campus.

“It is just one thing you don’t have to worry about — one little service to make life easier,” he said.

For delivery, Point Laundry charges $1 per pound of clothes, and Jefferson said she probably spends about $15 a month on the laundry service.

The average cost of a delivery load is about $15, Tesseris said.

“I know there is the stereotypical starving college student that is strapped for cash, but there is definitely a segment of the student population that has an extendable income,” he said.

“When you have this many people on campus, that can happen a lot.”

Tesseris said his customers range from some international students who, because of their culture, are used to people doing laundry for them, to graduate, medical and law students who have no time to wash their clothes.

Freshmen also use the service to make the transition from living at home easier, he said.

Jefferson said the laundry service has made her shift to college life smoother.

“It makes it easier because you don’t have to wait for a washer or dryer,” Jefferson said.

“You have other things to do.”

Human biology sophomore Natasha Mehta said she takes advantage of convenience
services such as food delivery about once a week because she is so busy doing homework. She said Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches — which has three East Lansing locations — is the most common place she orders food from.

“I usually order food if I’m really busy, and I’m studying and don’t have time to go to the cafeteria and sit down,” Mehta said.

Mehta said although she uses her own spending money to purchase the food, it is worth it because the food is better than what she finds in her cafeteria.

Premedical sophomore Kelly Williams said he has seen a demand for convenience services, and it was one of the things that motivated him to open his own cleaning business, Student Dorm Cleaners, last semester.

Since he began cleaning dorms, Williams said his business has skyrocketed, and the company — which employs two dorm cleaners — cleans more than 100 residence hall bathrooms per week.

“Dorm cleaning helps relationships between roommates and suitemates,” he said.

“It makes the transition to college easier, especially for incoming freshmen.”

Share and discuss “Students use various E.L. delivery services” on social media.