Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Recent protests lack clear plan

<p>Joyce</p>

Joyce

With all the articles swirling around protests in the State News these days, I couldn’t help but notice the similarities among my fellow opinion writers but that got me thinking about the similarities between the protests of MSU Greenpeace, Occupy Wall Street, the online protests, and the Tea Party movement. These four protests fall into two categories: purposeful and pointless. Because of the two extremes this covers, I’ll be writing this in two articles instead of just one.

Looking throughout articles published on Oct. 20, 2011 and Jan. 10 regarding MSU Greenpeace’s mission, its progress and its irrational behavior and subsequently getting arrested, it got me asking: What do you want? I understand the desire to get the university on 100 percent renewable energy, and I think it’s an admirable goal.

However, looking at this from a larger perspective, it makes one wonder if now is really the best time. Similar to the struggling green economy and lack of interest on a national scale, is now really the best time to be making a fuss over MSU’s energy needs? In the middle of a recession, a sagging economy statewide and tuition costs rising 7 to 10 percent? Now is not the time to try to implement expensive green technology — the costs of which naturally will be passed onto students.

However, I put aside my logical perspective and look at the situation through a passionate viewpoint, a perspective the student protesters likely have. I can understand the desire to have a mission accomplished and doing whatever it takes to make it happen regardless of its impact. However, if I were one of the protesters, I would be doing more than harassing administrators — although I would if I had to — and I would be presenting an implementable, viable plan.

So far, MSU Greenpeace has simply demanded over and over for a cleaner energy source but has provided no plan — at least as far as the public has heard — for putting this in place. As a member of ASMSU’s Academic Assembly, I’d be thrilled to hear a bill proposed to help MSU transition from coal to green energy. If MSU Greenpeace and MSU Beyond Coal have a plan, it should be telling students; the best way to enact change is to get campuswide support.

When you make a demand and a goal without a plan to accomplish that goal, nothing gets done. You can tell administration to come up with a timeline, but that allows them to put it off as long as they want.

This theme of having a problem with a system but having no clue how to change it reminds me of Occupy Wall Street. I correctly predicted that OWS had no leader, no direction, and no goal. Since then, none of this has emerged, hence no progress has been made. The protesters remain in their tents, not looking for work, committing crimes, getting arrested, and for the most part, making fools of themselves. No reasonable politician takes them seriously, but that’s not because they’re bums but because they have no demands; no plan to “fix capitalism.”

In Mr. Goldsmith’s article published on Jan. 24, he says “The rumblings amongst students nationwide are encouraging for many, particularly those struggling for a more just society.” While it is true OWS is encouraging to many, the opposite is true as well. To anyone who has a basic grip on economics or American history, this movement is an embarrassment and is very discouraging. The participants may be our age, but I shudder to acknowledge them.

Because of Occupy Wall Street’s lack of goal, it is not a serious movement; it is not “reminiscent of the 1960s.” Indeed, one can look back and see examples of nonbathing, relatively uneducated hippies successfully protesting their government and getting results — the Vietnam War protests.

What differs between the protests of old and today is past protestors had goals; they knew what they were fighting for and had a plan for success. OWS has a general theme, but besides protesting capitalism — a losing battle in itself — they have no proposed alternative system. They can say capitalism is corrupt, but until they think of something better, what are politicians supposed to do? I can’t even give a sarcastic example of one of their proposals because they have none.

There are many examples of successful protests through history, some have even occurred recently. What they all share is their goal and a thought-out methods to achieve that goal. These two important elements are lacking in today’s political climate, which could be an indication why so much seems to be going wrong with today’s policy making.

Citizen activism is great only if it reflects well-thought-out ideas.

Jameson Joyce is a State News guest columnist and James Madison freshman. Reach him at joyceja1@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Recent protests lack clear plan” on social media.