Monday, October 21, 2024

Gholston suspended for one game by Big Ten

Sophomore defensive end William Gholston, right, and red-shirt freshman defensive end Marcus Rush throw their hands up to the referee after a roughing the passer call was made on Rush during Saturday's game against Michigan at Spartan Stadium. Lauren Wood/The State News

Sophomore defensive end William Gholston is suspended for one game for violating the Big Ten Sportslike Conduct Agreement during MSU’s 28-14 win over Michigan, the Big Ten announced Thursday. Gholston will miss Saturday’s game against No. 4 Wisconsin.

The conference agreement was violated during the third quarter of the U-M game, when Gholston punched U-M lineman Taylor Lewan. The agreement states, “striking or attempting to strike or otherwise physically abusing an official, opposing coach, spectator or athlete” is a violation.

“William Gholston is a tremendous and extremely caring young person,” head coach Mark Dantonio said in a release from the Athletics Department.

“In the heat of the moment, he momentarily lost his composure. Football is an emotional game of split-second reactions. It was an unfortunate incident. We look forward to his reinstatement.”

In the same statement, Gholston addressed his suspension and said Dantonio reminded him that actions during games have consequences, and he plans to handle future situations differently.

“I deeply regret momentarily losing my composure late in the third quarter of last Saturday’s game against Michigan,” Gholston said. “Although provoked, my response was inappropriate.”

Share and discuss “Gholston suspended for one game by Big Ten” on social media.