Saturday, October 26, 2024

ASMSU passes grief absence bill

ASMSU representatives passed a bill that would recommend changes to the university’s excused absence policy at its biweekly committee meetings Thursday night in Student Services.

ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

Representatives in ASMSU’s Academic Assembly discussed the excused absence policy and other issues including the preferred name policy and a task force to combat racism during the meetings.

The grief absence bill, introduced by ASMSU Associate Provost Emily Bank, would recommend a change to the university’s excused absence policy to add a clause regarding missing class in the case of the death of a family member or loved one.

Currently, only university-affiliated events are protected under the policy.

Representative Milan Griffes said ASMSU has to consider students taking advantage of the proposed policy and provide some sort of evidence that a student missed class for grief of bereavement purposes.

Representatives discussed the language of the bill and passed it for further discussion in other MSU Academic Governance committees.

ASMSU Provost Zach Taylor also discussed the preferred name system in which students can choose what name they would like to be on official class rosters.

Taylor said the policy would help protect people who have gender identities that conflict with their biological sex.

Representatives in the student affairs committee discussed the creation of a task force to address the incidents of racism and bigotry that occurred on campus last month.

The bill was stalled by discussions at a previous committee meeting pending a clear definition of the task force’s purpose, but it was passed Thursday to counter racism and bigotry on the MSU community. No funds are allotted for the task force at this time.

Also discussed were bills introduced in the Michigan House of Representatives earlier this month that would disallow counseling programs and employment opportunities based on a person’s sexual orientation.

Representative Dylan Miller said ASMSU needs to meet with faculty members and representatives from LGBT groups to discourage legislators from passing the bill.

“We really need to do something to make sure this does not pass,” he said.

Share and discuss “ASMSU passes grief absence bill” on social media.